• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannostomus ID

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Mesh should be approximately between 1.0 mm and 3.0 mm. Nylon Fly screen is about 1.0 mm. It bonds very well to a plastic supporting structure like plastic fluorescent light diffusing grids which are sold in the USA at big hardware stores in 2 X 4 feet pieces.
It is easily cut the diffusing grid to fit using a Dremel tool saw, hack saw blade or jig saw. I have found SuperGlue to be an excellent bonding agent since it sets rapidly and may be used within an hour. The glue used for assembling plastic model airplane kits works but should be allowed to cure for 24 hours.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Mesh should be approximately between 1.0 mm and 3.0 mm. Nylon Fly screen is about 1.0 mm. It bonds very well to a plastic supporting structure like plastic fluorescent light diffusing grids which are sold in the USA at big hardware stores in 2 X 4 feet pieces.
It is easily cut the diffusing grid to fit using a Dremel tool saw, hack saw blade or jig saw. I have found SuperGlue to be an excellent bonding agent since it sets rapidly and may be used within an hour. The glue used for assembling plastic model airplane kits works but should be allowed to cure for 24 hours.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The mesh size only needs to be small enough so that the fish cannot pass through to the bottom. Of course it also needs to be placed high enough above the bottom of the tank so that the fish can't stick their noses through it and eat eggs. You could use fiberglass screen, but it is rather fine-meshed and some eggs might not fall through. I use nylon 'needlepoint canvass', something like this: http://www.joann.com/darice-stiff-plastic-canvas-7-count-12-x18-clear/zprd_01971233a/. It is stiffer than screening and self-supporting. The openings in the mesh are larger, too. You can get it at most fabric stores relatively cheap. I also use it for tank partitions.

raymond82

Today I fabricated something with PVC pipe, glue, saw, drill and suction cups. As usual, it looked a lot less nice after I was done than I had in my mind but maybe it will do for now. The fish are in aready, I had to take them out of the tank they were in anyway because of a devilish A. eremnopyge female with fry.

I use nylon 'needlepoint canvass', something like this: http://www.joann.com/darice-stiff-plastic-canvas-7-count-12-x18-clear/zprd_01971233a/. It is stiffer than screening and self-supporting. The openings in the mesh are larger, too. You can get it at most fabric stores relatively cheap. I also use it for tank partitions.

The mesh I'm using now has 1x1 mm openings, but the above link reminded me that we might have something in the house that I can use instead, some material we bought once to make dividers for Betta's.

Here are some pictures of the temporary solution:

SAM_4629_zps42e3a4ad.jpg

My apologies for the rotated picture, photobucket allow me to rotate the picture but the link remains the original unrotated image...

SAM_4630_zpse9c763a0.jpg

To be continued!

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I like your design using the craft mesh, PVC pipe and suction cups.
It solves the problem of bonding dissimilar plastics you are using.
I can guarantee that nylon fly screen allows free passage of all Nannostomus and other popular Characin species' eggs.
I think both designs require about the same degree of effort to build.

raymond82

Thanks! I just wish the mesh would have ended up a bit tighter but I can always paste it again. Now let's see if the Nannostomus want to cooperate!

I noticed the photo turned out with the right side up in the end, mysterious photobucket...

Mike, can you set up a 5.5 gallon tank with two layers of Marbles on the bottom like you would for Danio's? I would like to try breeding a group of N. minimus I got at my L.F.S. as a by-catch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….