• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new fish

watsawat

5 Year Member
After i lost many of my fish last summer i didn't brought any fish but
on last 2 week ago i went to the shop and i saw taenicara candidi it's very impressive fish so i cannot stop my mine to buy new apisto again.
this is my pic.
dsc03894smallxy1.jpg

This pair live in shade tank so i cannot get good picture . female lay her egg on last week ago but i cannot see any fry .I thing maybe water condition is not suitable for female hatch her egg. so yesterday i has water change and i use RO water instead tap water and i also use dried Indian almond leaf too.
ps. I brought new fish again last week.
Is it caca tripple red?
dsc03948smalldq7kq3.jpg

dsc03951smallhh0zl3.jpg

this my male cacatuoidea that i lost it last mounth becauses white spot disease.
dsc03587smallpp0en7.jpg

in another tank i also keep this.
dsc03854smallkv3.jpg

It's not apisto but it's very nice.

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
Love the picture of the T. candidi. If I am not mistaken you judge the triple red by the unpaired fins ( dorsal, anal, and tail) colors. If the dorsal is red it is a single red or red. If it is red on the dorsal and tail it is a double. If it is red on the dorsal, tail, and anal fins it is a triple red. I am not sure if it matters how much red is on the fins. Looking at the picture of the new A. cacatuoides the dorsal fin is not spiked high enough to be a male. It should be much more pronounced than that. The mouth should be much bigger and wider than your picture shows. The facial features and upper back remind me of an Apistogrammoides species. I wonder if you got a crossed species somehow.

watsawat

5 Year Member
I though my new caca probably be a juvenile but actually my old caca I brough from same shop doesn't show spiked high dorsal fin but its mouth became bigger when it grown up
like this.
cacaja9xi8.jpg

this is the same caca in the picture above but i don't know why it colour change from red to orange.
dsc02121smallln0jh4.jpg

:biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The short dorsal fin extensions are one of the effects of breeding for color. Everyone was more interested in fixing the color of the fins and ignored the length. I think that it would be possible to start working on getting the fins back to the length seen on wild specimens.

watsawat

5 Year Member
The short dorsal fin extensions are one of the effects of breeding for color. Everyone was more interested in fixing the color of the fins and ignored the length. I think that it would be possible to start working on getting the fins back to the length seen on wild specimens.
I agree with you Mike so I didn't brought pair of new caca,I broght only male to breed with my female cacatuoi because my female is bred by mixing wild from and double red for the male that I had bred shown long dorsal fin.
I hope when I mixed my new caca and my old female the next gerneration will be good colour and shape.:)
This is mixing caca .(wild form +doublered) I had have.
ndd9l823370802smallmh6.jpg

This male caca is the son of pair above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patch24

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….