• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Laetacara Dorsigera were spawning...

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Hello. My Dorsigeras were spawning in the main tank. They are two days protecting the larvae. But I do not think they can maintain their offspring. The name is still a good start...

Attachments

• 20151228_210950.jpg
    20151228_210950.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 548
  • 20151228_211553.jpg
    20151228_211553.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 535
  • 20151228_211648.jpg
    20151228_211648.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 528
  • 20151228_211704.jpg
    20151228_211704.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 572

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Hello. I am raising Dorsigera for the first time. My pups were 40-45 day. But every week, 3-5 cub running out. Current +8. Length, 0.5-1 cm. I would like to ask you? I wonder is there a problem with the water changes the point? I know that Dorsigeras want of fresh water. I do weekly 20% water change. I give them microworms, JBL baby 01-02 and spirulina, 4-5 times a day. Where am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your answers ...

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Fikret Celik + all..

If you (or anyone :) ) feed too much.. you may get a lot of restproducts or even food left over, as Mike says..

And if you have got fine sand as bottom substrate.. the rest-particles will rarely fall/get in between every gravel, where most of the "spoilage-bacterias" normally lives.. (they "eat"/"decompose" the restproducts )...This will happen in large-sized sand/gravel!!
A tank with more places/bigger area for bacteria to thrive in may often be better/more able to recieve larger amounts of restroducts!!
It may start to rot if you don`t have enough of bacterias for your specific amount of rest-products being left over..
..and this may lead to lack of oxygene.. and also start some health problems on/in the fishes.. with all the rest-products piling up in the tank.
If this goes on for several days/weeks.. all "good" bacteria in the tank may die.... maybe leaving you with only other kinds of bacteria ("bad" ones??) + larger problems..

Fishes can get used to large waterchanges, but I recommend you to increase the amount in small steps..(20% is a good advise from Mike!!)
The risk if you don`t have got OK water in the tank + no "new" water with pH lower than 7 when filling up the tank..(my tap-water is pH 8,3 ).., is that you may cause immediate free ammonia in gas-form.. being created/transformed from all the restproducts.. and then causing acute damage on the gills.. and therefore causing problems with breathing!!
But as long as you only change 20%, it should be OK!!:)
One other option, if possible, is to hoover some of the bottom-substrate at the same time you change the 20%.., but then let any filter be untouched..!
(Otherwise you may remove all the "good" bacteria remaining in the tank-"system".. and these bacterias are good to have after doing a larger clean-up!! Within a couple of days they normally have spread to the clean sand too!)

One thing to consider.. might be to change some of your microworms+spirulina to some kind of froozen food (Artemia.?)
At the size of 1cm , the youngsters ought to manage to eat this ..
I think this will also result in less restproducts if fed properly..

Keep in mind that fishes may stand without food for several days (sometimes even for weeks..) without any problem!! (This also happens from time to time in nature!)
Fishes are not warmblooded like us humans.. or like cats and dogs!! We need to eat often and get new energy every day.. to maintain the temperature in our bodies!!

One easy way to feed with froozen food..
Thaw artemia in a cup of tap-water and then give the first to the smallest of your fishes.. then add some more water + feed next size food to the next size of fishes so to speak!!

If you can not find any other problem in your tank, these tips may help??!!

Cheers,
Micke

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Thanks, Mike and Micke. You really gave me a lot of valuable information. In particular, you Micke. I will try to apply your advice...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….