• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why are laetacara dorsigera called redbrest acara ?

anewbie

So this is my 'redbrest acara':
tt1b.jpg

What i can't figure out is why are they called red-breast? When I hear redbreast i think robin. Are the above fishes natural colour or have they drifted from their natural colouring (these were tank raised as wc were not available at the time).

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Those fish are far from natural colors. I've seen some that were pretty dark, but the usual color is a dark maroon on the breast. There were also wild populations that were bright cherry red on the breast:

dorsigera 72.jpg

These belonged to a friend who was supposed to maintain them until I got out of the navy. Unfortunately, he did not do so.

anewbie

Those fish are far from natural colors. I've seen some that were pretty dark, but the usual color is a dark maroon on the breast. There were also wild populations that were bright cherry red on the breast:

View attachment 14535

These belonged to a friend who was supposed to maintain them until I got out of the navy. Unfortunately, he did not do so.
The fish i had purchased had been in the trade for a long time; do you think it is possible they are actually a hybrid or cross between dorsigera and curviceps ? I say this because of the fin colouring and shape.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The are several geographic populations of L. dorsigera. They look quite similar when not in breeding colors. Breeding color can vary from deep burgundy to sooty black, like yours do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….