• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

macmasteri wild question

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
How common is there A. sp. rotpunkt and A. alacrina mixed in with A.macmasteri ?
Or could there be another species in with them other than these ?

Just asking as some of the 30 fish I have ( wild ) don't quite look
like mac's , there coloration is off a bit ,body shape is of a mac ,
fish are still young will try to post pics but its hard with so many
to get the ones I want to stay still .

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Depending where the A. macmasteri were collected, the odd balls could be any of several other species or even different color morphs of A. macmasteri. If they are small, it might even be a differences in sexes. True wild-caught A. macmasteri are not very common. I would give them some time to grow up before trying to ID them.

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike

I have a few that are definitely female they are in brood
dress , just don't want any crosses so I may have to dispose
of any fry that come of this .

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
male + female
miscfish004.jpg

same male
miscfish001-1.jpg

same female
miscfish012.jpg

couple different fish
miscfish010.jpg

miscfish015.jpg

miscfish014.jpg

miscfish013.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wild fish from the foothills of the Colombian Andes are not collected very often due to the comparitive political instability of the region. Most of the Colombian fish exported are from the upper Orinoco, near its border with Venezuela. Wild macs aren't as colorful (although there are very colorful populations) as the domestically produced fish, so the demand is not as great.

Mark

5 Year Member
mac wild

Hi Mike,

The fish on the sixth photo; do you think it is a Macmasteri female too? I have some fish from the same catching area I think and I have two of these grey fish. Mine have a very distinct black spot at the beginning of the pectoral fins. I thought these were sp. rotpunkt. In the sixth photo the fish has an indication of a blach spot at the finbase too. What do you think?

Greetings,

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Rotpunkt females will show a narrower, more zigzag like lateral band. You indicate that you might know where these fish were collected. If so, can you tell us where?

Mark

5 Year Member
I will have a closer look at my fish, but I don't know the source. I got mine as contaminant of ramirezi from Colombia. We have some wild fish from Colombia coming in here because some Dutch aquarist were catching in the area of breitbinden and iniridae. The ramirezi came in by the same exportcompany they used but were not collected in the same area. We have had ramirezi coming before but always without apisto's mixed in. That's why I think my fish are leftovers from a bigger group like the fish from Apisto-nut.

For the fans in Europe: I know in Germany wild viejita (or so it is called) is coming in lately so the mac/viejita are being shipped again.

Thanks Mike, I will let you know what I have.

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have found macmasteri-group species among wild-caught Rams in the past. Usually they were A. macmasteri or A. hoignei. Once I even got A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Black-throat (= Linke & Staeck's "A. viejita CF III").

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I had a six wild caught A. macmasteri about a 18 months ago. They grew to be large specimens and the males had red edged top and bottom caudals.
Not at all as much color as the Czech bred forms but they were still attractive fish but males almost grew to the size of Laetacara dorsigera.

Mark

5 Year Member
My fish have grown a little a bit and the male got some more colour. These are the fish I found with the wild Colombian ramirezi:

Females (2x):

scientifish

scientifish

The male:

scientifish

I think the females are sp. rotpunkt and the male is hongsloi.
(This week "wild macmasteri" arrived; they are all sp. rotpunkt..:frown: )

Mark

RAF

5 Year Member
Did you get the fish recently? If so they're probably from the sabe collecting as mine... a rare collecting in Colômbia. I can be 99% sure that the fishes are from Colômbia because I saw the import list where mine came anda there were several other Colombian species.

Probably we're the lucky ones to et hold of these fish and from what I hear in the news and recent declaration of the colobian militia these fish won't be presente again in import lists for quite some time!

They look exacly like mine...

RAF

5 Year Member
I had a six wild caught A. macmasteri about a 18 months ago. They grew to be large specimens and the males had red edged top and bottom caudals.
Not at all as much color as the Czech bred forms but they were still attractive fish but males almost grew to the size of Laetacara dorsigera.

Oh my god!!! I have 6 L.dorsigera and they're quite big for dwarves... What am I going to do with 14 dorsigera size wild apistos :eek:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on the small photos, the male fish appears to be A. cf. hongsloi, probably a color morph of the type form A. hongsloi, but not exactly Rotstrich/Red-streak. The good news is that the females are probably the same species. They are not Rotpunkt.

Mark

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me why you say the females are not rotpunkt? Both females are yellow now and still have the big black spot at the beginning of the pectoral fins.
I thought rotpunkt would be correct as the new shipment has (as it seems)the same females with very clear rotpunkt males.

I always thought rotpunkt was to be recognised by the black spot at the base of the pectoral fins and the broken gill stripe. Is that correct?

I will try making a good and bigger picture today.

Greetings,

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Several macmasteri-group species have females with this pectoral spot. Rotpunkt have a lateral band that appears similar to a zipper, while most macmasteri-group species show a zigzag pattern.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….