• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Low-tech fishroom - comments ?

jerseyjay

5 Year Member
Few more questions.

The final count is

3 - 29G (use of HOB as filtration)
5 - 10G (use of HOB or sponges for breeding pairs)
6 - 5G (use of sponges for fry)

Question:
Should I just skip PVC and bigger air blower since I will be using sponges in ~10 tanks and go with ganged valves w/ Rena 400. Or you strongly suggest PVC+bigger pump or PVC+Rena 400.

farm41

5 Year Member
Jay,

I have been in several fishrooms, each had run pvc for the air. Looked much cleaner and performed better that those that have run gangvalves and tubing all around. Even with a small air pump, I think they perform better with the pvc, gives them a 'tank' sort of to even out the pulsation.

As far as filtration, all my BB tanks, even up to 55g are using sponges, great filters, lots of bio area. The 55g growout uses 2 double stacked Hydrosponge #3's run by a hagen maxima air pump. All the rest, 10's and 20's use the same #3 on its own, and their own air supply.

HTH

jerseyjay

5 Year Member
Thanks Matt.

I guess this will be my last question.

I decided to build 8ft x 2ft rack in case I want to place my tanks side way.

Question:
If I place tanks long way then they are not going to "rest" on 2x4 but rather in the "middle" of plywood. What are your thoughts on that ?

Is it safe to place your tanks in the "middle" or having middle 2x4 would be necessity in this case ?

farm41

5 Year Member
Excellent, no problem there.

I just bought some 3/4" last week too. Damn it's getting expensive, $26 for CDX, $35 for the good stuff.

jerseyjay

5 Year Member
Looking for good space heater. Room is 10x10 so there is no need for heavy duty equipment.

Was told that ceramic heaters w/ controller on cord are good.

Any ideas ?

krustyart

5 Year Member
sponge filter VS. box filters

Go with the sponge filters, if you use the box filters like the one in that pic then really tiny fry can get stuck in the box and cant get out and will be crushed or can get crushed in back of the box, I have seen this happen myself and have heard it from lots of people. {my opinion anyway} :!:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….