• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara adoketa pair or not?

klaus34dk

Im new to dwarf cichlids and i bought a pair of Ivanacara adoketa but im not sure if it is er par or same sex.
I have uploaded a video, hopefully you can tell me which sex they are.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Same sex or not, it is very unlikely that they will form a pair at this size. In order to get a well bonded pair of Ivanacara adoketa, you have to get a group of them and let them pair of once they get older. Otherwise, you have just two fish.

klaus34dk

Thanks. When i bought them there was at least 6 in the tank, 3 of them was standing out and with light colours and swimming normaly, the others was hiding and almost black, so they were sure the 2 i got was i pair. But for my untrained eyes they look as they are the same sex.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think what wethumbs means is that males will not accept just any female, and vice versa. A bonded pair works well in a medium size tank, but a non-bonded pair usually ends up as 1 fish.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Mike, you read my mind.

Ivanacara adoketa is a difficult species not because they are hard to spawn, it is because they are very picky about their mate. You are better off buying all in the tank and work out a deal as a group buy. Otherwise, you just have two fish now and later one. The dark / light color is just an indication of their mood, it has nothing to do with sex. People are sure on everything just to make a sale, chances are they have no idea how to sex the fish at that size.

limchongyu

5 Year Member
I find that 2 can easily end up as 0 the hard way. They fight really viciously and lock lips and tore each other to shreds.

klaus34dk

Thanks for all your answers.
I moved the 2 to another tank yesterday with small Xiphophorus maculatus fry and today the male was showing off. Lots of blue colors. They went in the cave 4-5 times. So im thinking that i got lucky and got a pair :)
There has been no fighting between them.
male.jpg

wethumbs

5 Year Member
They are not cave spawners, at least from all the spawns that have been documented so far.

klaus34dk

Yes i am aware of that. They got other options as well.
It was more to say that i might got a couple. My logic says if they can be in the cave multiple times, they must be a couple. But i can be wrong

agrasso

Mine have spawned many times in caves. Mine seem to prefer caves although they have also spawned on small flower pot bottoms surrounded by vals.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ivanacara, like the closely related Nannacara, are considered 'secretive spawners' as opposed to 'cave spawners' like apistos. The difference is how open the cave entrance is. Apistos tend to prefer much smaller openings.

agrasso

Congrats! My eggs were very susceptible to fungus. If you plan to remove them from the parents consider doing it as soon as they finish spawning and use methylene blue on them to keep the fungus down. Good luck and I hope to see some pictures.

klaus34dk

Thanks. I dont expect fry the first time. And the male is eating the eggs.
My smaller tank is occupied with dorsigera laetacara pair and their fry. Also first time but lots of fry. :)

klaus34dk

Forgot to update. Eggs was eaten so no fry this time. Next time im moving them to another tank and hoping it would be better :)

klaus34dk

New update. Now with eggs for the second time. This time im moving them in another tank
IMG_2947.JPG not the best picture but you can see the eggs

klaus34dk

Not good news with my pair. The have spawned around 8 times and after a day or so all the eggs is turning white. Im suspecting that the problem is with the male.

How hard is it to get a new male to pair up with the female i already have?? Is it possible??

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I might not be your male, but your water conditions. I. adoketa eggs are reported to be very sensitive to water values/conditions and bacteria in the water. This species occurs in very soft and highly acidic waters in Nature. Such environments don't support strong bacteria populations.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….