• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

If it were you, what would you do?

susanamck

I currently have 3 appistogramma angazzis which no mater what I do they will not breed.
The male is a captive flame and the females are wild blues.

Flame Fish.jpgFemale.jpg

My Tank
Fish Tank.jpg
I am thinking of moving the trio on and buying some new stock but being based in Scotland decent appistos can be hard to come by.

There is a sexed pair of Cruzerio on eBay but I would have to have them shipped to me and would have to trust the seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Adul...4?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3380dcc382

A supplier has informed be they are receiving a shipment of apistogramoides pucalepnesis soon but they wont be sexed and he's unaware if there is a female until the shipment arrives. I've read up on theses and breeding them seams difficult?

I also have access via eBay to cacatuoides double red pairs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apistogra...4?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3f0eeaebda

If it was you what would you do??

Give the trio more time or get something else
and if you sway towards something else, what would you get??

merlin

5 Year Member
Before you try to get rid of them. I would check the water conditions. PH, TDS and temp. Are you using RO water.

Derek

regani

5 Year Member
water conditions are one major thing, but the tank also looks a bit bare. they may not feel secure enough to start breeding.I would introduce more small cave-like structures and maybe a few more structures to break line-of-sight between the different territories.
I am really not very good at apisto ID (especially females), but are you sure your females are agassizii? maybe someone with better knowledge can confirm...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with the others. Make sure your water values work for your A. agassizii. I can also assure you that both Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis & A. sp. Cruzeiro are much more challenging to reproduce than A. agassizii. A. cacatuoides is an excellent beginner's fish, but wild forms, for me at least, are easier to breed than domestic strains.

susanamck

this is a current photo of my tank.

water pers are
ph 6.9
kh 2
gh 5

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364754929597.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364754929597.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 344

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with P.W. the female does look like A. bitaeniata, but not sure which sex. You won't breed A. sp. Cruzeiro until you drop the pH to between 5 - 5.5. Ap. pucallpaensis is fine in those values. Their problem is the small size of the fry. Most need infusoria for a start.

susanamck

how would you suggest lowering the Ph, i already use almond leaves, and alder cones.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
100% organic or natural sphagnum peat moss. Get some panty hose, stuff a golf ball sized amount of peat moss into the panty hose, tie it off, cut off excess, and soak in the tank. Water will turn a light brown -- that's OK. Check pH every 24 hours. Might drop quickly at first so best to monitor. That's how I am doing my 10 gallon breeding tanks now and works really well.

susanamck

that was tank water Mike which is tap untreated.
Did a 10litre water change which is just over 10% with RO, tank water ph has lowered to 6.5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….