• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hydra

beleg

5 Year Member
There are several suggestions in the forum against Hydra,

Is using some 9v battery with copper wires safe for use in a tank with adult agassizi and their fry?

I have tried apple snails but they seem to get hurt by the hydra and dont eat them.

lab

5 Year Member
Copper will work, but I would be careful with fry in the tank, which are probably more sensitive.
The best methods I have seen described would be flubenol/flubendazole which could, as I understand it, have some effect also on the filter bacteria. 3 g salt/liter should also do the trick, but obviously the fish should first be removed in this case.

Hydra doesn't necessarily harm the fry, so you could also wait until it's time to move them anyway and then go with the salty solution.

Good luck,
Lars

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use fluke tabs at 1/2 dosage. I do not have any problems with fish (including fry). THe product kills all inverts (except planaria... grrrr), so avoid it if you have snails or shrimp in the tank.

beleg

5 Year Member
Thx Ted,

I don't have fluke tabs nor know what is inside it.Its not in the market here so immediate use is not possible for me. But i have this medicine from Sera named Tremazol which is actually Praziquantel. I have read on net that it is also used against Hydra (2mg/l???) but have been reluctant to use it in a tank with fry. Anyone has experience with its use and dosage against hydra?

fishgeek

i believe fluke tabs may be praziquantel or is that only prazi pro

lab i have seen the claims you refer to and can not for the life of me understand why a benzimidal antehelminthic would do some of the things claimed on the web site
ie aid filter bacteria
clean water
or enduce spawning activity

when i asked about that and a few other things i couldnt get any good answers from the distributor, it appears they are mainly an agent , the product manufacturer, explained there was some hormone , i cant recall now which one, in with the anthelminthic, i dont really remember whether there where other products or these were just ancedotal claims and marketing

andrew

beleg

5 Year Member
I carefully used the battery method yesterday at half of the recommended period (2 hours according to some older posts on this forum) . Most of the hydra died along with most of the snails but some seems to have survived. I made a %25 water change today and will see if the remaining ones die. I might repeat the treatment again. Then i will treat the tank with Aqutan or active carbon to remove remaining copper.

I removed the fry 2 hours after the medication but they seemed to be doing ok. The reason of removal is the female spawned again, so i don't want to risk loosing the batch even though the parents takes good care of both her fry and eggs.

@andrew
i checked the content of fluke tabs. its something different it seems?
Fluke-Tabs by Aquarium Products.
Each 500mg tablet contains (methyl-5-benzol-benaimidizole-2-carbamate) and (dimethyl 2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethyl) phosphonate).

@lars
the 3g/l seems to be easier to be done. How long does it take before it effects the hydra? Have you tested this before?

Thanks for all the input.

lab

5 Year Member
lab i have seen the claims you refer to and can not for the life of me understand why a benzimidal antehelminthic would do some of the things claimed on the web site
ie aid filter bacteria
clean water
or enduce spawning activity

when i asked about that and a few other things i couldnt get any good answers from the distributor, it appears they are mainly an agent , the product manufacturer, explained there was some hormone , i cant recall now which one, in with the anthelminthic, i dont really remember whether there where other products or these were just ancedotal claims and marketing

andrew

A hormone, eh:wink:

Actually I saw a reference in a forum about a negative effect on the filter bacteria, which was what I meant. Obviously this wasn't a comment from the manufacturer:biggrin:

I have just done the salt cure in one of my own tanks. It seemed to kill the hydra very quick, within an hour or so, but of course it is hard to be certain that you have spotted all of the little buggers. I let it be until the next day, and then changed water. They seem to be gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….