• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many in a harem- Dicrossus filamentosus

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
I have the opportunity to acquire some Dicrossus filamentosus. I should say save since they are in deplorable conditions.
Any how, I grabbed a pair last night. I have read that they are harem spawners. I really don't care about seeing them spawn(although it would be very nice). I put them in a heavily planted 55 with a pair of Bolovian rams, corydoras and a whiptail. How many more females should I add to keep them safe witht the male?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) My experience with this species is that if they are harem spawners, it is not the female's idea... Maybe in a large tank like a 55 a few females will be able to stay away from each other enough to be amiable. I used small tanks (10 and 15 gallons). The dominant female and the male would harass the extra female mercilessly in that small of a space.

If you want to try to start a harem, I would put in five females and let them figure out the right number for you. They will let you now...

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
Well, then here's another ? for you. Would a ratio of 5:1 in a 55 do better than a pair I saw sticking together (these I grabbed) and putting them in a 10?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) I personally think that if you want to spawn them and produce fry, you will have an easier time maintaining the soft, acid water parameters in a 10 gallon than in a 55. How much RO do you have to work with? The eggs like it SOFT..

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
well, really- i have a large supply of RO if needed. I can get it where I work. Like mentioned before I am not overly concerned with breeding them as I am with keeping them successfully. I would just like them to live as natural (peacably) as possible. I can add anothe male if they equals more harmony.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) So long as the water parameters are at least moderately soft and neutral in pH, the fish will thrive and behave normally. Their eggs will probably not develop well though.

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
I think my water my at least keep them alive:

Temp- 81 deg
PH-6.0
GH-7
KH-3

Weekly water changes. I run a H.O.T Magnum Pro filter.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Those conditions are actually pretty good. You will not have any problems. The eggs do not develop well at GH 6 / KH 3, but if that is not an issue for you, don't worry about it.

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
i raised and spawn D. Filamentosa.
but here is my story.

in the begining i have an harem of this fish , 1 male 3 females in 33galons.
nerver get them spawn.

as soon i put ,what i see as a couple, in a 10 gallon tank , i get fry.

so they say the like harem , mine doesn't :)

an other things, the male was not beautiful and big as an other male i have , so i decide to replace him by my beautiful male, nice , healthy and with amazing color.
what a mistake..... the new male almost kill the poor female, i have to use to much effort to save my female.
after the female getting better , i put the original male back , and what happen ?????
they spwn again .......

so one thing i learn , test , the fish will tell you if you are in the wrong way :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….