• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many Apistos in a 55 gal?

ReiChugo

5 Year Member
I am a beginner and have decided to get a 55 gallon tank for apistos and some support cast of tetras, hatchets, algae crew etc

My question is this:

In a 55 could I keep multiple species of apistos? I am interested in Viejita and maulbruters and was wondering if I could have both in my tank simultaneously? I am also interseted in cacateuds if that woudl be a better combo.

Also I was wondering if there was link on setting up a blackwater tank? Just interested in this nutrient rich environment.

peace
rei

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
I can tell you from my own experience that 2 female Viejitas is enough in a 55. Mine got very nast whith each other. As long as they stayed in their neautral corners all was nice.

farm41

5 Year Member
How soft is your water?

I like to have just a trio of apisto's and then a pair of rams in a tank that size. If the water is soft enough for the rams.

Neil

I have also found viejitas to be aggressive, but not much more than cacatuoides. A pair of each may well work in a 55, because vijitas and cacatuoides are both more aggressive towards species conspecifics and the 2 species are fairly different. However, maulbruter can be a big, mean fish and would be less of an appropriate choice for a combination. But, as I always say, it is the individual personalities of the fih that is more important than the supposed species behavioral qualities that makes all the difference in choosing tankmates.
Neil

radiodug

5 Year Member
I have 2 pair cacatuoides, 1 pair vejieta II . 1 pair inca, 1 pair agasizzii, 2 pair rams and 1 pair kribs in a 55 and they all have found their niche and don't seem to be bothering anyone. I think the best way to do this is ensure you have caves or flowerpots enough for everyone spread out equally. and plants. The Kribs are spawning, 1 pair cacs are spawning and the rest have paired up nicely cept my other "pair" of cacatuoides. The elder male hooked up with the younger female, leaving the younger male and the elder female unpaired. I am hoping they find each other. Amazing how this works. I get the elder male Cacatuoides would drive a porshe if he could. lol

Doug

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
I have 2 pairs of viejita II, 3 female cacatuoides, 1 pair of rams, 2 corydoras (2 paleatus & 2 panda), 8 rummynose tetras, and 2 baby convicts in my 55 gallon.

The convicts are under 0.75" and are in there only temporarily.(They were the two smallest and were getting bullied by their siblings that range from an inch to almost two inches in size.)

I have noticed that the viejita males were aggressive to each other when I had them in a 20H, but now they only display to each other occasionally but no chasing, etc. The larger of the viejita females only chases the smaller one when she ventures too near to her rock cave/driftwood territory which is under a square foot in area.

laetacara1

5 Year Member
radiodug said:
I have 2 pair cacatuoides, 1 pair vejieta II . 1 pair inca, 1 pair agasizzii, 2 pair rams and 1 pair kribs in a 55 and they all have found their niche and don't seem to be bothering anyone. I think the best way to do this is ensure you have caves or flowerpots enough for everyone spread out equally. and plants. The Kribs are spawning, 1 pair cacs are spawning and the rest have paired up nicely cept my other "pair" of cacatuoides. The elder male hooked up with the younger female, leaving the younger male and the elder female unpaired. I am hoping they find each other. Amazing how this works. I get the elder male Cacatuoides would drive a porshe if he could. lol

Doug
Doug,

I am curious how broodcare works in your set up. Are your cichlid parents successful at defending their fry in that set up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….