• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how long until i see the fry?

canon8838

5 Year Member
My A. sp. "masken" pair spawned either friday night or saturday morning, when should i expect to see teh fry and when should i start feeding them?

thanks,
canon8838

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Depends on temperature but, they should hatch in about 3-4 days and then another 4-5 das after, should be free swimming. It is hard to say if they will hatch the first time but maybe they will. Not every first time spawners hatch the first time. If you can see the black eyes through the eggs in a few days then they will hatch and you should plan on having some sort of baby food. The best is probably Baby Brine Shrimp, along with live microworms and vinegar eels. Eventually once they grow you should be able to feed them other foods like daphnia, grindal worms and larger brine shrimp. GOOD LUCK! HOPE THEY HATCH! Keep us all posted.

canon8838

5 Year Member
should i lift the clay pot up and see if there are any fry?

Is it bad to lift up a pot with eggs?

This is not there first spawn, because i got them as a mated pair and they spawned a few times for the guy i got them from.

Randall

5 Year Member
Spawning Apistogramma sp. "Masken/Masked"

canon8838 said:
should i lift the clay pot up and see if there are any fry?

Is it bad to lift up a pot with eggs?

This is not there first spawn, because i got them as a mated pair and they spawned a few times for the guy i got them from.

Dear Canon,

Lifting the pot is a judgement call, but it might be best to leaves things alone and let nature take its course. If your female is exhibiting breeding coloration and is spending a lot of time in the pot, she is probably brooding. It's best not to disturb her. At 78 degrees, you'll know if spawning was successful about 9-10 days post spawn.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

Agreed. There is nothing gained by lifting the flower pot. Either they are there or they aren't. Lifting will only satisfy your curiousity, but may also disturb the pair into having problems and eating the eggs. Look at it like Christmas. Even though you think you know what you are going to get, you have to wait until the day to be sure. As Randall said, about 10 days and you'll know for sure.

Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….