• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hiding coconut cave

zhihuai1982

i find that apistogramma tend to hide their cave with sand for the security when they lay eggs, but doing this also stop water flow into the cave, so the eggs have less oxygen, why apistogramma do these things?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1403252479.198461.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1403252479.198461.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 374

gerald

5 Year Member
The "caves" they use in nature are mainly wood and leaves with plenty of gaps for water flow. Even in slow moving streams there is probably enough water flow to provide adequate oxygen. And egg predators are certainly a bigger threat in nature than in our carefully managed breeding tanks. It is possible (I'm just guessing) that the female may adjust her sand-moving and egg-fanning behavior in response to the dissolved oxygen content that she can detect near the eggs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….