• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hemichromis Elongatus

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
H. fasciatus is the largest and most powerful. I think that H. frempongi has a reputation for being the most beligerant. I have seen a picture of a 135 gallon tank full of large Malawi hap-types and one 6" H. frempongi where the jewel cichlid kept all the haps (at least a dozen of them) cornered in about 1/4 of the tank.

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
i am going to try all three speices, just need to get my hands on the frempongi and whats the min tank space u think i could put a pair in

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here are some images of my H. elongatus female with fry.

sm_edit_hem_elongatus_Aug215_08_0010.jpg

sm_edit_hem_elongatus_Aug215_08_004.jpg

Here is what she does with them each evening. That pile of fry probably has 350 - 400 fry and is about as big around as a quarter. Within a few minutes of the light coming on the fry are spread all over the tank foraging.

sm_edit_hem_elongatus_Aug215_08_009.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I received a PM yesterday from someone in the ACA (via the ACA forum) telling me that his H. frempongi just spawned. Hopefully that will result in some being available in a few months. They are very mean, but I suspect an ESTABLISHED pair woudl be keepable in a 20 long or 30 gallon tank. My 4" H. elongatus pair makes do in a 15 gallon tank.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
ok i guess i need to get a new camera

:rolleyes: think twice about spending a lot on a camera. If I had NOT I would probably have automated water changing in my fishroom by now!

peterK

5 Year Member
I really like these big Hemichromis... but they need too big tanks for me (
so far:wink: )

Optical image stabilization sometimes is not able to help with blurry pics... better way to take a good pic is to use a flash.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The key is to have a well established pair. I have tried raising a batch of fry in a 110 gallon tank and had they decimate each other.

viejo

5 Year Member
You will probably have some collateral damage when the pecking order begins to be established but Fasciatus seems to be somewhat more tolerant of it's siblings than is Elongatus & from what I hear, Frempongi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….