• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hemichromis Elongatus

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
I have a pair of these guys , they have spawned finally , not sure if the eggs are going to hatch here are some pics
IMGP0200.jpg

IMGP0199.jpg

IMGP0198.jpg

IMGP0197.jpg

IMGP0201.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The eggs will hatch after about 72 hours. The larvae will be on the bottom for about three more days before the cloud of fry starts to swim. The fry are surpisingly fragile and need food ASAP after they are free swimming. I had a huge spawn from my pair, but missed feeding for three days due to being away... most of the fry died. I would start a batch of baby brine two days after the eggs hatch to be ready to feed as soon as they are free swimming.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Any fry food will work. Golden Pearls is a good dry option. An excellent frozen food would be Cyclops-Eze. You can also buy frozen baby brine. THe fry really are not picky about food... but after they are free swimming they have no energy reserves.

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
H. elongatus

Out of curiosity, how many fish did you start out with to get a pair?
I gave H. fasciatus (group of 6) a try and they were some of the nastiest fish I've ever seen and I had to give them away because they would beat on each other and every other fish relentlessly. They got decent sized, no where near yours, but I never saw any pair action.
Steve

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I bought an established pair. My experience with wil H. fasciatus, H. elongatus and H. frempongi (and F1 H. frempongi) was teh same as yours. Lots of death, no breeding. I would still like to get both H. fasciatus and H. frempongi, but I need more tank space to accomodate one fish per tank just to grow them out.

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
i bought an established pair also from the same guy as well and also where did u get the fasciatus from and do you have any more , i have been looking for these guys for a while now

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I pulled about 25 fry three days after they became free swimming. I left the rest and used them to feed some other fish (including a lone H. fasciatus I do nto have a mate for). After about two weeks most of the fry are gone and the pair is about to spawn again.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I just saw that auction too. I sent the seller an email asking him to clarify his shipping. Is it 'actual cost' or is it $25 for Priority Mail? The auction suggests both!

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
I ship 1 cm juvies all the time with no problems and lots of satisfied customers. Check out my aquabid feedback (freshwaterfishfan). So, no 1/2 isn't too small. Smaller fish ship better than larger ones, anyways.
Steve

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apparently the shipping is a flat $25 for Priority from this person. Seems steep in my opinion, but he does guarantee live arrival and use breater bags with one fish per bag (probably overkill with 1/2" fry).

I prefer fry that size with this species... maybe they will settle in together a bit better. I have not decided if I will get any, but he is the only person with them advertising right now, and they are F1.

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
well i decide to purchase some fry from the guy and he is sending me 12 and once i get a pair i can send you some ted you just got to school me how to package and ship

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My elongatus pair spawned again this week. I am growing about 25 fry up from the first batch, so I do not knwo if I will hold any back from thsi batch.

Thanks for the offer on the H. fasciatus. They grow pretty fast, so it will nto be long until you have them pairing off... or killing each other :rolleyes: . My lone H. fasciatus is almost as large as my H. elongatus male. I did not realize there is such a body shape difference. The H. elongatus is very sleek compared to the blockiness of the H. fasciatus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….