• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help sex my sp. abacaxis

fishkez

Hey all,

I have already posted some pics in my introduction but I thought I would snap a few more to see if they will help shed some light. The fish are around 2.5 to 3.5cm and are still sub adults. I am not 100% sure what to look for in terms of differentiating male and female so hopefully somebody can educate me.

skBZtPk.jpg

JSyDbOj.jpg

kWVYNUq.jpg

good luck and thanks in advance,

Kerrin

Jeff W

I would say you have a male and a female. Looks like first picture is your female and the last 2 are male. Just going by color differences and fin differences.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
All I see in the pictures are females. The black leading edge to the ventral (lower paired fins) is a strong indicator for the fish being a female. And A. sp. Abacaxis males would be showing a nice purple throat/chin at that size. I'm guessing you aren't in the US. Wish you were...I have 2 larger males and 2 smaller females (all wild that came mixed in with other Tefe collected fish) but I'm not 100% sure on the female ID yet so I'd be happy to trade a male for a female.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I think they are 2 females!
I'm poor a this, and it isn't a fish I've kept, but I think they may be 2 females as well. The second fish could be a male (some rear dorsal fin extension?), but it has very black leading edges to the ventral fins, and no sign of any dark markings around the lips and throat.

cheers Darrel

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here are two bag shots of my larger male (I turned the lights on early to take these...both he and I aren't fully awake yet!)

Jeff W

I am still thinking the 2 photos are male. I can see every ones point but as far as dorsal extensions that looks male. Could be female but with the coloring differences in the pictures of the 3 photos and the fin differences it could be younger fish that have not colored up completely. But I am still new at apistos.

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hi again,

looking to these 2 new pics, I'm sure this one is a male... more pics from all of the fish would help us decide!

loirUh

5 Year Member
here's a pic from my sp. Abacaxi male so you can compare them!

Attachments

• 20130409_222702.jpg
    20130409_222702.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 310

fishkez

Thanks for all your help folks,

I have a feeling they are all females as well. I have 5 fish in total, the 3 photo's I posted are of 2 different fish, and the other 3 are similar. I have 1 that is around the same size as the fish in the last 2 photos who is showing some spots and darker edging in the caudal fin, but still shows dark lines at the front of the ventrals. I will try and get a photo of him??? tonight, but his? territory is toward the back of the tank so is not easily photographed.

Unfortunately I am in Australia so much as I would love to trade as it appears I have ample females it isn't going to be possible haha, just means I need to go on the hunt for a male or 2, not going to be easy as I don't think these guys are readily available out here

Kerrin

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are still rather young. I would be patient and see how they sex out. The one with some spots/darker edge to the caudal might be a juvenile male. Still, look for other specimens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….