• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!How to treat ascites?

crouns

I got a pair of Apistogramma luelingi.When they first came into my tank,the male always attacked the female.And then I put them in two different tanks .but keep they can see each other.When they live in peace through the glass.I put the female into the male's tank.But only a few days later .I found the male got ascites,now the condition is getting worse.How can I save it?

crouns

If you mean that the fish has swollen sides and scales lifting from the body (generally called 'dropsy') then sadly it is not often cured. It is an internal infection in which the kidney stops working.
Thank you,I had stop to feed it food and Treat it with metronidazole and gentamicin.Change part of the water every day and put a little salt in the tank to Increase osmotic pressure.I hope it recovers soon.It's my favorite fish species and difficult to get in our country.

gerald

5 Year Member
Don't stop feeding; if he's able to eat, let him eat. Food will help keep his immune system strong. Fresh-hatched baby brine shrimp might work if he's stopped eating other foods. Good luck!

Happyfins

I would say keep feeding high quality food (wrigglers, newly hatched brine shrimp, blackworms). A local breeder was dead against red blood worms in apistogramma. I have found that you can sometimes get improvement in mild disease with feeding less junk (high protein pellets) in rainbowfish. If the fish won't eat it is probably too far gone anyway. I would say bloat is equivalent to multiorgan failure (likely many causes; leucaemias, bowel obstructions, infections, poisons) and treatment should be like treatment conditions for humans before modern medicine came about, ie clean water, good food, no stress. I have never used antibiotics (with the exception of levamisole for camallanus) and frankly not keen to breed multiresistant organisms in my tanks but if I had something very rare or valuable I might reconsider. I think sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….