• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Harem density

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have eight A. cacatuoides (4 male and 4 female) that I have placed in a 20H to hold. I was hoping ot find homes for them in the short term, but the store that I'd hoped would take them has not. There is one decent size piece of driftwood in the tank and one flower pot. The only other structure is the sponge filter and a clump of java fern. I have pretty much been ignoring the tank.

I took a closer look at the tank today, because I had decided to try harem spawning one male and three of the females in a 40 gallon. I do not think that I need a tank quite that large. Two of the females are parading nice size spawns around the tank, and a third has a clutch of eggs inside the flower pot. Watching these females keep their distance from each other is amusing. The females with free swimmers are not letting the fry out of territories no larger than about 3 sq. in. It will be interesting to see where the third female leads her brood to.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The third female was harassed mercilessly until she left her spawn. That left two females with spawns. The female with the younger spawn is a lot more aggressive than the female with the older spawn, and has gradually taken over more of the available space. I removed all of the males except one and the two females without fry. I will leave this trio in the tank to breed and sell the others. Last check, the more aggressive female seems to have taken over the brood of the less aggressive female. The less aggressive female is out of brood care colors and the remaining brooding female has more fry than she did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….