• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing apistogramma trifasciata

mp88

Good morning,

I'm new to keeping Apistogramma. I've got a singe definite developed male. I've also been sold 4 'females' with the plan to set up a harem. Two of these four are definitely male - I've used the older forum posts to identify this.
I've inserted images of the other two. Does anyone think either/neither/both of these are female?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Apisto 2a.JPG
    Apisto 2a.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Apisto 1a.JPG
    Apisto 1a.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 61

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Too small for a safe sexing.
i agree with MacZ. But a cautious guess would be females. Only looking at the width of the black markings on the ventral fins, though it's not a safe diagnostic.

-r

mp88

Thank you for your replies. I’ll keep an eye on them and hopefully it will become clearer soon.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Two of these four are definitely male -
The males really don't like one another from an early age, so behaviour should give you a clue. The males also don't like females that aren't sexually receptive, but they tend to drive these away rather than just trying to kill them.

cheers Darrel

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all,

The males really don't like one another from an early age, so behaviour should give you a clue. The males also don't like females that aren't sexually receptive, but they tend to drive these away rather than just trying to kill them.

cheers Darrel
Haha.. charming little buggers…

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….