• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

FAST Growing Plant?

Sam

5 Year Member
What is a very fast growing plant that I can use to soak up nutrients in my 125 gallon Congo River Tank? I was considering Vallisneria gigantia.

I think that Hygrophila polysperma is banned in my area, at least I haven't seen it for sale here.

Thanks![/i]

2la

5 Year Member
Have enough light? Mexican oak leaf Shinnersia rivularis can grow 2" a day in good conditions. For more commonly available plants, you can't go wrong with Indian watersprite, hornwort, or willow-leaf hygro (Hygrophila salicifolia (angustifolia)).

Sam

5 Year Member
Not an ideal planted tank

Not an ideal planted tank I have here. It's a 125 with two 30 watt NutriGrow bulbs that are incased in mirrored ballasts. There is no added CO2 beyond what the fish respirate. The tank is filtered by two emperor four hundreds. The tank is intended to simulate a Zaire rapids biotope. The only reason I really want plants is so that they can outcompete the green cynobacteria that has covered the rocks. The cyanobacteria is not eaten by the fish, and it is impeding the growth of benificial algae.

Sam

5 Year Member
Substrate

Oh, and the substrate is fine natural gravel, about 2-3mm in diameter. There is no fertilizer besides fish waste.

vancat

5 Year Member
I think ya need to bite the bullet and get more light if you really want plants.
:(

farm41

5 Year Member
If you don't want to spend a few hundred bucks on lights, I would just do a 3 day blackout and then only turn on the lights when you are veiwing the tank. The blackout will kill the cyano. If you do the blackout, make sure you clean all the cyano you can first, then the blackout , and then vacuum the cyano out again. The beard algea should not get worse if you don't have the lights on too much.

There is also Erythromycin for the cyano too.

Sam

5 Year Member
I dont really want plants, I just don't want cyanobacteria. I'll try the blackout, thanks for the suggestion. :)

ddaquaria

5 Year Member
Give it a reed look with sag or val. Aquatek usually keeps sag in stock (notice you are from Austin - I am too). You could also try java fern in strategic places - assuming you have rockwork or woodwprk. java fern does not grow fast, but when it takes off...WOW

vancat

5 Year Member
actually I had GREAT luck with java fern when I had a low light- low tech tank. I had TONS of it. GOOD LUCK- and good idea- try java fern.

jerseyjay

5 Year Member
I would also look into the source of your BGA which is a combination of bacteria and algae.

The usual cause of it its Lack of sufficient NO3 levels (how high is your Nitrate) and Lack of sufficient water movement.

Increase both (add KNO3 if necessary), remove most manually, do blockout and you should be fine.

2la

5 Year Member
Jay, it doesn't sound like there are any plants in there at all, in which case additional fertilization will only worsen matters. The blackout sounds like the best option, but if that fails I'd start thinking about dosing the tank with full-strength Maracyn (erythromycin). In a setting without plants, this, IMO, is an ideal option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….