• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarfs with breeding BN Plecos

JG

5 Year Member
I have a 42 gallon tank that currently houses a number of Ancistrus sp. (Bristlenose Plecos) that I'm hoping will spawn. I was thinking of the possibility of including a small group of dwarfs (likely a 1m/2f trio) in the tank and was wondering if anyone has included such a mix before? If they have, what worked for you in terms of the dwarfs?

Thanks,

J

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
In my experience baby bn plecos are pretty easy marks for dwarf cichlids. If you choke the tank with lots of driftwood a few of the babies may avoid detection. Once the plecos are up to about 3/4 inch they will probably be ok with most dwarf cichlids.

JG

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback.

I was thinking that with the wood, rock and plant cover I could get away with a few ramirezi or altispinosa.

J

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I guess it depends upon your goal. A few bn will survive in a well planted tank with lots of wood... are you ok with just a few surviving? I used to have a 75 gallon tank heavily planted and loaded with driftwood. My bn bred all the time, but I only new it because I started seeing babies. I tore the tank down after a couple years and pulled out two large (the originals), six medium and about a dozen less than one inch. Knowing how many the plecos produce, hundreds were eaten by the other fish in that time.

JG

5 Year Member
Thanks for the illustration Ted. That definitely puts things into perspective. My goal is basically just to try my hand at breeding the BN.

Roach

5 Year Member
I had a pair of my BN breed and found the babies during a water change. I saw them for about 2 or three days and haven't seen them since and that was a month ago. There's a fair amount of wood and plants in the tank so maybe they'll pop up again.
If not, maybe the apisto's inhaled them. Or it could be the two big kribensis that just had a growth spurt!

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
If you want to save the BN spawns it can be done. Just watch for the male to have eggs in his cave.

Remove the cave and male to a 10g tank with a cycled sponge filter, tmep same as original tank. Keep Dad with the eggs till they hatch and the fry come out. He doesn't really need to stay till the fry are eating, but he won't hurt them.

Once he is done raising them to eating stage put him back in the big tank for the next spawn. The eggs take 4 days or so to hatch sto it will give you time to notice a clutch of eggs. I do this all the time as my breeders are in a 65g tank with growing out angels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….