• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus gladicauda

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In D. filamentosus, only females will (eventually) show red ventrals. As for those with clear/white ventrals, they could be young males or immature females. My guess it is the same for the closely related D. gladicauda.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
A little update, my biggest fish (male from now on:p) has a small point on the upper half of his caudal fin. Exactly on the spot filamentosus grows his, but I can't detect it on the lower half:D

merlin

5 Year Member
I think im beginning to see extensions on both the top and bottom of the caudal fin. It is more apparent when the caudal fin is collapsed a bit. Are you still happy with your fish Yo-Han.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Here are some shots from yesterday from two different males. Although always in the front of my tank, the first male was hard to capture, but here you can see the tailfin:
Vm8R0Zl.jpg

The second one was easier, but looking at the photos the lower half seems a little pointed too.:confused: I hope, this doesn't develop any further. And you can see he's coloring up a little as well!
6e0Xr6Q.jpg

merlin

5 Year Member
I will try to photograph mine but im sure the male is developing extensions on both lobes of the caudal. Shame but I think the're filamentosus.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
It seems a little mine are too. But the upper lobe is definitely more pronounced than the lower, so I still hope they are gladicauda, or I'm driving to Amersfoort:p

gerald

5 Year Member
Question: If there's no observable difference between filamentosa and gladicauda except in mature males, what made the seller (or exporter) think these fish were gladicauda? Were they captive raised from a "gladicauda" pair? If so, and if these male offspring develop both upper and lower caudal extensions, that suggests that "gladicauda" may not be a valid species.

merlin

5 Year Member
I took my largest male out to photograph in a show tank.. unfortunately he was not for being photographed here are the best pics.
Although not great shots I think they show equal length of growth on both the top and bottom lobes of the caudal fin.
Gerald your right with your statement. It was always a mystery with this shipment. D maculata, filamentosus and the gladicauda were all offered for sale. Hopefully the stock was not mixed up and someone who bought the filamentosus are sitting saying these fish are deformed they only have one sword..
The other suspect point was the fish were extremely cheap for what they were meant to be. They were small ie 1cm so perhaps justifying the low price.
Anyway they are still a cracking fish Dicrossus filamentosus
_DSC0471-lores.jpg
_DSC0475-lo-res.jpg
_DSC0477-lores.jpg

Yo-han

5 Year Member
I asked them. They assured me they were not mixed up. They ordered them from aquarium glaser in Germany as gladicauda and were told they were wild caught. Perhaps we can send them an email...

Mol_PMB

How long did it take until they became sexable? Just interested as I have half a dozen 1" filamentosus.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
A few weeks ago, but because they're wild caught, I don't know how old they are. The females are about 3.5 cm, and the males 4 cm (measured as body length, without tailfin), if that helps any;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….