• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus gladicauda

merlin

5 Year Member
Got 5 small specimens of this species from Holland. Ive read the species description but does anyone have any experiences they could share with this species. A couple of record shots below.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385717114863.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385717114863.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 779
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385717132247.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385717132247.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 743

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If these are D. gladicauda (I can't be sure from these photos) then treat them like the Orinoco populations of D. filamentosus with soft and acidic water conditions.

merlin

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. Im not certain of ID. They were sold as gladicauda but time will tell. The fish are only 15-20mm TL. Dont know if there is anything that can help with ID in these young fish.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The one time I brought some in they were tiny and desperately in need of food. And after 4-5 months of growing out they turned out to be D. filamentosus! I hope you have the real deal!!!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Aquaticclarity do you know what to look for as early indications to being D. gladicauda.

Nope. As far as I can tell they look alike other then the single versus double tail spike. But that doesn't mean there aren't some other differences. I haven't seen the fish in person yet, just some low quality pictures, so I'd guess there might be some noticeable features you could use to tell the two species apart.

So please keep taking pictures of your fish every month or two!

merlin

5 Year Member
Some new pics of the D gladicauda

Attachments

• _DSC0390.jpg
    _DSC0390.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 686
  • _DSC0400.jpg
    _DSC0400.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 633
  • _DSC0402.jpg
    _DSC0402.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 584
  • _DSC0403.jpg
    _DSC0403.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 664

gerald

5 Year Member
Are those pics 4 different fish, or all the same fish? They (it?) look like females.
I sure hope they're glad's. The body looks a bit higher and chunkier than most fil's.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It will be interesting to see what these juvenile will look like when mature. Juveniles, and apparently females, can't be separated from juveniles/females of D. filamentosus. From the original description (underline mine):

"Dicrossus gladicauda is most closely related to Dicrossus filamentosus. Both species are very similar and cannot be separated by proportional or meristic characters, but differ significantly in the shape and colour pattern of the caudal fin of adult males."​

This is why many knowledgeable people have problems with this species. It occurs in the same river systems where D. filementosus is also found. Is it really a different species or just an odd variation of D. filamentosus?

merlin

5 Year Member
The pics are random pics of the 5 I have. One is definitely larger than the others and is chasing the others about...male perhaps. Was looking at some pics online and they showed filamentosus with 6 spots along the lateral line and gladicauda has 7. Is this random or are there differences.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Random, I guess. There is no difference between the 2 species in body shape, fins, or pattern except on the caudal fin of the male, according to the original description.

gerald

5 Year Member
In their 2008 published description of D. gladicauda, Schindler and Staeck state: "In spite of the overall similarity between D. gladicauda and D. filamentosus, we describe the new form as a separate species and refrain from using a subspecific category for we agree with Kullander (1999, 2004) that every single diagnosable form deserves its own specific treatment.”

In other words, it looks different so it must be a distinct species -- a faith statement, not science. That seems like a pretty cheesy excuse for a species description IMO, and I'm surprised it made it through peer review. I would like to know if the captive-bred males all show the "gladicauda" tail type. At least that would give a little evidence that it's not just a polymorphic trait like agassizi color varieties.

Microman

5 Year Member
If they do indeed turn out to be D.gladicauda it will be a first timer in the UK... We had what some thought were gladicauda in 2006-07 but these turned out to be filamentosus. The fish you have were unbelievably cheap for a fish that, i would have thought, they would have wanted to make big bucks from.
Good luck with them and fingers crossed...
Mark...

merlin

5 Year Member
You maybe correct microman I googled the two species and was comparing the photographs submitted for both species. There was nothing to say what race the filamentosus were.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Without naming the shop I guess you got them from Amersfoort. I got 5 as well and seriously hoping they are gladicauda, but like yours, still too small to sex. I believe I've 3 females and 2 males. They are all doing fine in my planted tank for a few weeks now. Not very soft or acidic (KH:6 pH 6.4 with CO2), but happily foraging around. Schooling together from time to time. But I couldn't see any differences with the filamentosus too. They are eating eagerly so I guess they mature quite fast!

merlin

5 Year Member
Mike at what age would you think the sword would begin to develop. I know we dont know how old the young are but it will help give me an age working it back.

Microman

5 Year Member
At 6 months you should be able to tell what you have...
Bear in mind that on substrate dwelling species the bottom swords often dont develop as quickly as top swords
when the caudal is constantly in contact with substrates.
Ive often found this to be the case with Biotoecus but they tend to spend much more time at substrate level than Dicrossus.
Mark...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….