• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cacatuoids

flashbang

I saw this cacs in my local shop about six months ago and i just had to buy him,, i had never seen a coloured pelvic fin on a cacs before.
I mated him with a double red female of mine and have got some very nice triple males (even better than dad ) but none of them show any red and black in the pelvic fins.My question is am i ever likely to reproduce any offspring with this colour pattern -thanks
IMG_0435.jpg

RustedKnight

I found it was very hit or miss getting coloured spawn.

I even tried breeding triple red males with orange flash females. My end result was that the red gene seems to be less dominant than the orange flash gene, with 99% of my spawn coming out orange flash.

All you can do is keep trying. My original triple red also had markings on the pelvic fins, but none of the fry inherited that gene.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I guess it's time for some inbreeding to encourage the red/black ventrals. Try breeding your male with his most colorful daughter. Sometimes inbreeding isn't all bad.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
My end result was that the red gene seems to be less dominant than the orange flash gene, with 99% of my spawn coming out orange flash.
I did this as well, except an "Orange Flash" un-chequered Male, with "Double Red" Females. The end result in my case has been all orange chequered males. I've never had an un-chequered male from this pairing.

cheers Darrel

Melanochromis

I saw this cacs in my local shop about six months ago and i just had to buy him,, i had never seen a coloured pelvic fin on a cacs before.
I mated him with a double red female of mine and have got some very nice triple males (even better than dad ) but none of them show any red and black in the pelvic fins.My question is am i ever likely to reproduce any offspring with this colour pattern -thanks

The answer is yes. I can confidently say that you DO have a chance to get the checkered patterns on all 5 fins of the later generations (I call them "Pentacle Red" because, well, it makes sense as this is 5 fins, not 3 like "Triple Red", or 2 like "Double Red").

I have done this many, many times, and my aim of breeding cacatuoides since 2 years ago is to get the nicest Pentacle Red. However, in order to do this you will want a nicely patterned female too, otherwise you'll have a low percentage of Pentacle Red offspring. But in any case, you can always breed the non-Pentacle Red offspring together and will likely see some Pentacle Red showing in the next generation.

I hope you don't mind me showing you a fish I bred. The Pentacle Red male in this breeding pair is a product of my five generations of cacatuoides. The female, however, is from somewhere else and is rather bland in patterns. About 40 to 50% of their offspring are Pentacle Red, the rest are Triple Red.

Cacatuoides3.jpg

Cacatuoides1.jpg

Cacatuoides2.jpg

RustedKnight

Impressive finnage, but I think I certainly prefer them with less red on them. Thats a bit too in your face for my liking. But, as you said, it is possible to breed them and get that gene.

flashbang

Hi, thanks for your reply. That certainly is an amazing male. I will continue to try and get the same result as you have got, unfortunatly my last spawn did not produce any females-78f to80f (i thought i had one female and set it up with her dad but i think it's turning into a male now) Thanks again

Boupette

5 Year Member
I have some quadruple red with some black markings on their dorsals and tails, the pelvics are orange with no black markings.. Do you call it pentacle orange?

krudolph

Extremely nice fish, especially the pentacle. I am inspired. I have never seen a pentacle, so thanks for posting. I don't see many pictures of colorful females, but here is my quad female
IMG_3475.JPG
emale.
IMG_3483.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….