• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cacatuoides and shrimp

oldboy

5 Year Member
i have a 55 gal planted tank with a doz crs and 6 orange bee shrimp. I just ordered some cacatuoides, are they gonna eat my shrimp? If the cacatuoides are small enough and the crs breed can they live in harmony. Are there any "cleaner" fish that will leave the fry alone. I have a sae, flying fox, a bushynose and a blue phantom pleco, and a few otto cats. If the cacatuoides have plenty of caves and places to hide will this enable them to breed and multiply?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your shimp will slowly disappear once the A. cacatuoides get some size. As the shimp grow, the shed their hard exoskeleton for a short period. If the apistos find them at this time, they will eat them. Most people believe that the best algae eaters for a planted tank containing apistos are Otocinclus.

fish fodder

5 Year Member
plecs are very powerful fish and would not worry about trying to get at your cacatouides eggs, ensure a small entrance to your caves and maybe weigh them down

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have had some luck keeping red cherry shrimp with everything from Apistos to Discus. Discus do eat them yet some are always present somewhere. I have managed to keep them with A. cacautuoides, A. borelli, A. iniridae and A. baenschi. They trick seems to be to introduce a large number of shrimp and have plenty of plant cover. Ceratophyllum is an especially good refuge.

I raise them in the high hundreds and they have spread accidentally through plant transfers. They won't achieve high populations with these other fish, however. I would expect little survival with adult SAE's.

Tray

5 Year Member
Most people believe that the best algae eaters for a planted tank containing apistos are Otocinclus.

I'm just starting to stock a tank I'm getting ready for some apistos, and I grabbed a couple Otocinclus. They are about 1" right now, and went right for the patch of algae I had growing on my back wall after about an hour in the tank. They almost have the glass cleared already! Good recommendation!

Tray

5 Year Member
I also bought three ghost shrimp hoping they would clean the substrate up a bit. Guess I shouldn't expect them to survive. At 30 cents a piece, i guess it's not a big loss, but they are pretty cool. :tongue:

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Tray,
Don't give up too quickly on the ghost shrimp as they do very well with Dwarf Cichlids and even adult discus. I would recommend getting at least a dozen. You might lose a couple but they generally are hardy animals. I breed my own and have been able to keep them with even Dwarf Pike Cichlids, Crenicichla regani. I put them in there for food but the dwarf pikes are sticking with live black worms and frozen lood worms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….