• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding

Pellegrino

Hello All I have a tree out of orange apistogramma cockatoo the mail keeps vibrating and driving one of the female into upside down pots but no eggs yet any tricks I could do to the water or to the tank to get her to lay eggs

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi !!

Female will not spawn if she have got no produced eggs inside, so feed her a lot/xtra if you can..and then you will probably get a spawn if they are
both ready for it..
A small waterchange(10-20%) with OK water may start a spawn!! (kH/TDS/EC drops!?)
If you keep any aggressive catfish or larger cichlids( or other animals enjoying the bottom-area..and with similar hungry behaviours..) in the same tank..they may try to eat the eggs!!
..and if they do this at the 1st night, you may even miss that the Apistos have ever spawned at all!!

My experience is ..Small Ancistrus can intrude even the smallest of cave.. Large Ancistrus often doesn`t seem to manage this.. due to their size..and if the cave has a tight/narrow entrance..!!
A top/bottom (1/3 of ) of a coconut will often do... (Put in a freezer for 24hours ,, then crack it in pieces with a tool/hammer, clean it empty, and use the "shell"-parts!!
To be sure ..Snails can be used for 2-3 days .. placed in a bucket of tankwater with the clean coco-"shell"..for eating it really clean!!)

If you can.. use some good kind of fine sand (small-sized)..at least where the spawning-cave is placed...
.. after spawning, the females will often dig up a "wall" of sand in front of the entrance!!.. as defence from predators(?).. or as a preparation for the wrigglers to be put in the pit!.. or both??!!
A good tip is to keep several caves in every female-territory.. since females often wants to move the wrigglers from one cave/place to another.
This might be a defence -strategy.. so predators may not find them from one night/time to another????!!

Good Luck!

Micke

Pellegrino

I came home from work today finally have success we have eggs I am keeping my fingers crossed the orange cockatoos in the 10 gallon tank looks like a lot of eggs to here is a picture
IMG_20160413_214812425.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….