• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Suggestions: A. panduro

Water Changer

5 Year Member
Have had my pair for 7-8 months, my guess is they are a year old.

10 Gallon - 76F - Sponge Filtration - PH 7.6

New Life Specturm Thera A - Frozen Bloodworms - Baby Brine Shrimp

They have spawned numerous times, but eggs have never developed into wigglers.

I like them in the 10 and they get along well (although the female does keep the male away from the spawning site when she has eggs), but I could move some fish around and put them in a 20H.

Are dithers needed(?), I can get pencil fish locally and have never kept pencils so I'm not opposed at all.

I'm on a well and my water is very hard, short of using RO/Distilled water I don't see anyway to really move the ph down and keep it down. I've never used RO or Distilled but from what I read it sounds like some work adding back minerals to keep things straight.

Because the fish are breeding, their colors and activities are absolutely marvelous and I don't want to make keeping them a big chore and hassle (if RO water is a hassle?). I love them the way they are but would really enjoy raising their fry.

Just looking for direction/suggestions on changes to improve the opportunity for free swimming fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with merlin (again:)). Your pH - and most likely your hardness - are too extreme for the eggs to hatch. Once you get the pH/hardness down to more acceptable levels you should see fry.

Water Changer

5 Year Member
What approach would you take to lower the ph?

RO Set up?

Is it feasible I could lower the ph by including distilled water during a water change?

I'm doing a 25% water change weekly in the 10 gallon and since I'm on a well - it's straight out of the tap....

Could I add a gallon of distilled water (water purchased at a local retailer) to the water changes in addition to my tap water and see any change? If so would I need to add minerals to the gallon of distilled?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's hard to make suggestions without knowing your tap water values. Ideally, A. panduro will successfully reproduce at pH ~6.0 and moderately soft water (dGH > 5°; dKH>3°). It's possible at higher values, but success is less.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Pick up an API KH and GH test kit, they are cheap. How your pH will respond to any changes will depend on your KH. If your KH is really high, then you will either need RO or rainwater.

Water Changer

5 Year Member
I took my water to a local chain shop and they advised my:
KH is 100 PPM
GH is 75 PPM

Purchased an API liquid test kit and performed several tests on my tap water (which is well water):
KH (5 drops to color change) 89.5 PPM
GH (5 drops to color change) 89.5 PPM

My ph is 7.6

Suggestions and recommendations ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….