• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding setup for 3 species: macmasteri, hongsloi, borelli

primetime3wise

5 Year Member
i just acquired: 3 pairs of borelli, 2 pairs macmasteri, and 2 pairs hongsloi.

for tanks, i have available, right now: 55g and (x3) 29g tanks.

for breeding purposes, how would you guys go about setting things up? i have lots of breeding experience with everything from piranhas to med and large cichlids, so i am somewhat familiar with setting up territories, etc.

thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If they were mine, I would put 1 male + 3 female A. borellii in a 29, 1 male and 2 female A. macmasteri in a 29, 1 male and 2 female A. hongsloi in a 29. The other males I'd keep in reserve in the 55. I'd then keep an eye on aggression among the females and remove any female without a territory.

primetime3wise

5 Year Member
thanks for replying. 29g is enough for 1m/3f borelli? they do seem less territorial aggressive than macmasteri.

i forgot to add i might have a 3rd female macmasteri. i bought an apisto, labeled "viejita", separate from all the rest, locally. Are those "macmasteri"? It's close to the other 2f macmasteri, in appearance, either way.

I read there are no viejita in the hobby, but this information was from a few years ago.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
4 A. borellii in a 29 - if properly laid out - is fine. 3 female macs would be more problematic. Try it and remove any that lose out. True A. viejita recently appeared in the hobby. They will be considerably more expensive than the normal 'viejita' (mac) found in the trade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….