• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brazil Apisto interest? (and a few Colombian species)

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Keep in mind to bring an order in through customs will run you in the $200-250 range regardless of the number of boxes or fish. That is each and every time you bring an order in. Direct orders will normally be in the 10-15 box range as a minimum (some exporters are more and some are less). Shipping per order (not including the cost of the fish) will run you another $1000-$1500 depending o the country and city the fish are coming out of. So as a recap:

$200-$250 to customs
$1000-$1500 in freight as a minimum

So $1200-$1750 in costs BEFORE the cost of the fish which will depend on what you bring in and how many of each type you are required to buy. And don't forget box charges which are all over the place in terms of cost depending on were the fish are coming from. There is also no guarantee of live arrival. You MIGHT be able to get credit if the fish come in DOA but you are still out the shipping and box charges.

And this would be the low end of the costs for bringing an order in. So figure you need $4000 on hand if you can find someone willing to ship out a small order and $6000-$8000 if you can only find someone that ships medium to larger orders. (Assuming you can find the fish you want!)

An import license can be applied for with the US Government. It's a early license and isn't overly expensive...somewhere under $200.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Oh, I forgot the cost of a single A. cf. agassizii Tefe. Well...the ones I have swimming in my fishroom yet cost me around $100 each not including the meds I used to try and salvage the tank of fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Excellent response, Jeff. The average hobbyist doesn't understand how the aquarium import business really works or the costs involved. In truth, you might as well take a vacation to the Amazon and collect a few fish for yourself. You're more likely to get the fish you really want, fewer dead on arrival fish, a once in a lifetime experience, and it will cost about the same!:biggrin:

ste12000

5 Year Member
I also enjoyed the response.. Heres a job i had to do today after receiving a box of fish from Peru.. DOA claims are not fun :(

DSCF8948.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
We should start a new section...Dead Apistogramma Identification! Sort of a guessing game...It would be fun!!! I have TONS of pictures I could post!

ste12000

5 Year Member
Spot on.. A.atahualpa, i did think they may be huascar but its now pretty douptful. There were 4 left alive after 24 hours and luckily it looks like two pairs. They will stay in the fishroom now for a long recovery. There are also a few A.norberti and cacatuoides amongst the deads. As a very pleasant change my ordered A.barlowi came in at a decent size, good split of sexes and all in good condition, barlowi is the fish that never seems to travel well for me.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I actually find dead (well, not dead too long) apistos easier to identify than live fish. They don't move, fins can always be spread, and they don't have all those darn bright colors hiding the dark markings!:wink:

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll right the gephyra ($15 each and I'll do my best to sex them but most of them are just on the edge of sexable) are looking good as well as the caetei Catae ($30/pr 6/$75). I'll get pictures up in the next day or two (finishing up taxes right now!) The gephyra are looking more like gephyra but hopefully Mike Wise can let us know what they actually are. I also have a few true pertensis and some Brazil agassizii (nice orange form) left for sale. Here are pictures of the last two taken shortly after getting them in: http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/showthread.php?12327-Real-pertensis-nice-agassizii-type-and I can sex the agassizii ($25/pr) and can take a shot at sexing the pertensis (the smaller ones can be tricky though) $25/pr 6/$60

And just to keep things interesting I have more Peru Apistos (and a couple of odd ball tetras) coming in next week.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Hi Jeff,

Just wondering if you have any updates on the A. gephyra? I you have a chance to get some pics that would be great.

Thanks,
Dave

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The pneumonia seems to finally be under control so I can get back to business! I'll get pics for you of the gephyra very soon! But don't expect to much yet as they are younger fish and not very flashy yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….