• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brazil Apisto interest? (and a few Colombian species)

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Trying to gauge interest as I have limited tank space availble right now and LOT'S of fish I would like to bring in! (See West African fish list thread and pike cichlid fish list thread)

Apistogramma agassizii Tefe $20-$25 each
Apistogramma caetei Marajo $20/pr
Apistogramma caetei Caete $25/pr
Apistogramma gephyra Red Demini $15 each

I'm also looking at a few Colombian Apistos:
iniridae
"viejita" (most likely alacrina, a mystery fish, or possibly macmasteri)

garcia

5 Year Member
Interested in the Apistogramma gephyra Red Demini plus some apisto's you already have in stock too..

Ralph

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistogramma sp. "Tefe" and Apistogramma cf. agassizii "Tefe" are one in the same fish accourding to the Datz Apistogramma book.

The fish are listed on the stock list I received as Apistogramma agassizii with a "collection point" of Tefe. But you wouldn't believe how most fish get named on a given export list! Names are a jumble to say the least. Dicrossus are all labeled as maculatus but the price and collection region help give clues to what they really are!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Rio Tefé is home to both A. agassizii and A. sp. Tefé. You probably won't know what you have until you see the fish. Still, it is more likely that the fish are A. sp. Tefé because commercial collectors know that this is the species that the exporters want.

"Apistogramma caetei Marajo" is A. cf. caetei Rotwangen/Red-cheeks A 30, from the Ihla de Marajó at the mouth of the Amazon. This was the original "A. caetei" in the hobby in the late 70s and early 80s

"Apistogramma caetei Caete" is the holotype form of A. caetei from the Rio Caeté; not common in the hobby.

I would love to get either of the caetei species.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
So if I were to bring in both caetei types would I be able to tell them apart Mike? Because the bags will come with out labels!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Once acclimated, I could - but you might not. A. cf. caetei (Rotwangen) (= A. caetei Marajo) should show more red marks on the face and the caudal fin has rows of spots that are wider than the interstial area. A. caete from the Rio caeté shows less red on the face - but the population from Turiaçu shows even more red marks than does Rotwangen. This is why I put less faith in colors. The caudal fin on A. caetei show rows of spots that that are about equal in width as the interstitial area. If I were in your shoes, I'd order the more colorful Rotwangen (A. catei Marajo).

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The plan would be to order one type of the "caetei" but list the offer as a sub. So there would be a chance that I would end up with both and I wanted to make sure there was a good chance that the fish could be properly IDed.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I received the advanced packing list late last night and everything is getting filled!!! This might be the first time ever that I haven't had at least one sub on an order. I even was able to tack on a couple of additional fish were brought in to full out the order.

I'll post details Monday night afer everything is unpacked and I can see how it looks.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
A few things didn't do so well...

The cf. agassizii Tefe came in ok but never settled down. I have 3 of them plus one "mystery" Apisto that was mixed in. I plan on keeping them in hopes of having some spawns so I can hopefully have F1 fry to distribute.

The caetae Morajo came in 1/2 DOA and the rest dropped within the week. The caetei Catae look great though!

The gephyra are doing well but I can't confirm their ID yet! I'll stuff them full of food for another week and then try to get some ID photos up.

My current full stock list with sizing and pricing is up as of this morning at www.aquaticclarity.com/fish

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
How would one get fish straight for the importer, and not for business just for myself.

In the US you need an import license and have to import through a port of entry airport dealing with customs. On-line searches will pull up all sorts of exporters. Weeding through the bad ones is the hard part!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….