• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

awkwardness of selling/trading fish

Eva32181

5 Year Member
My six baby borelliis are about 3/4 of an inch long, and sooner or later they will be getting new homes. A couple of people at one LFS expressed interest in buying them, but I have no idea what kind of going rate to expect. Talking money or trade value is pretty awkward. What would be a fair price for these little fish?

Obviously we all know what prices for apistos online are (just go to Neil's site or Aquabid) - but how does that translate to local trading? I don't think my LFS has access to any borelliis from their supplier. How do you guys handle selling fish to an LFS or an acquaintance?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
First, the LFS...A lot depends on your relationship with the particular store. When I first started dealing with my favorite one, he would only give me in store credit. Then, after we built up a decent relationship, he sees me spending money in his store, and he knows that I'm not dropping off fish that will be dead by the time I get back to the parking lot, I was given the option cash or credit. I get more per in credit than I do cash. Mine has a 100% markup on fish that I take in. If I ask $10, he'll sell them for $20. I also look around the store and see what like fish are going for and/or make a mental note of the going price of fish I will soon have. When I have something, I just mention what I have and ask if they would be interested. And if so, how much and how many. After they get to know you and get a feel for your fish, they will probably be open to additional negotiation 8)

As for friends and aquaitances...Usually it's a trade off. I've got something they want, they've got someting I want. If not, and depending on how good of friends you are with the person, ask what you feel they are worth. Decide if they are worth more to hold on to them, or take an offer. When I'm out of space, make me an offer becuase they are worth nothing to me sitting here eating up valuable. If I have some space, I can hold out for a little more because I'm not in a big hurry to move them. We I do a money deal, it is never more than what I would get from the LFS. If he was going to give me $10 for them, that is where I would start here also.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
Would an LFS sell borelliis for $20 each? I have never even seen an apisto in an LFS before, and I don't think my LFS would know how to price them. (The first time I ever saw an apisto in person when they came in the mail from Neil!)

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
They probably won't get $20 for a pair of borelli. Ask him/her if they were selling them what price range they would be in. Or, if they are avilable in other stores, take a peek and see what they are getting for them. When selling to the LFS, you are basically competing with the wholesalers prices and quantities. They might not want just six. Or they may want pairs/trios only and if you've got 1 male and 5 females or vice versa they probably will pass (Unless some employee has a craving for apistos. Then tend to pick through most of the cool stuff before it even hits the tanks). You'll just have to talk to someone there, preferable a manger/owner type that is in the position to make the call and set the price.

Neil

I don't think it is unreasonable for a LFS to sell that nice of a borellii for $7-8/fish. That would probably mean that you would be OK in trying to get about $3-4/fish. Borellii is a fish that Lfs's can get (maybe not yours) and are one of the more common apistos. But color and quality should play a role in the process. Tank-raised apistos are much more stable in a retail setting. So the nicer the fish and the less chance of it dropping dead before they sell it, the better. If they don't have to put much into it (initial cost, food, meds, etc.), their risk is minimal and their profit is high. Those shouldn't be in the store for long, especially with no other apistos competing with them.
When i sell apistos to the LFS, I usually sell the rarer species for $5-7/fish and they mark them at $15-20/fish. They sell fairly quickly at that price, because they are fish that you never find at an LFS. But if they sold them for $10-15, they would probably fly out the door and they could get more.
Less food would be going into them and less risk. But they don't seem to get it. :?: :? :?:

aspen

5 Year Member
most of us guys (and gals) who have multiple tanks are swappng fish out, fairly often, growing out fish to keep the best and trying to improve the look of our tanks as much as we can with the best specimens. that is what i've been doing with discus for the last year or so, and have 13 great fish left from almost a hundred gotten as babies. but that means that i've had to buy a lot of fish, grow them out, and sell quite a bunch. not to mention selling babies when i've had them. (not discus yet, but in time with luck.) so far what i've sold has made me more a lot than i've bought.

that means developing as many places to move fish as possible, including the lfs's, and other hobbiests and fish club auctions, etc. when i sell to lfs's, i try to get 1/3 to 1/2 of what they are going to sell the fish for. but remember, you ARE developing a market, so only move fish that will go nicely into other's tanks, and that means growing them out nice, and selling only fish with no defects or diseases. be picky, and you will always be welcome with your little bags of fish. that is really why a lot of lfs's won't buy from hobbiests- their fish don't live in the lfs's tanks the way they would had the store just bought from their regular supplier.

the best way is to ask before your fish are breeding, then you have a better idea whether it is worth you going to the trouble. you don't want to have tanks full of unwanted fish eating and growing. but, thwe BEST way to have great specimens for yourself is to move the less than spectacular ones. remember, only the best specimens should be thought of as breeders, and picking the best is an art. breeding crappy fish will only make you a 'crappy- fish breeder'. of course it should also be lots of fun, it is a hobby right?

rick

Neil

Eva,
Well, get used to it. If you are going to be successful at breeding, as you are on your way to becoming, then you are going to have this issue to deal with in the future. Like anything else, it is a little bit of a new thing and more of a confusing deal at first. But, once you get a feel for it and make contacts to buy from you, it should modify the costs of the hobby a little. Remember, when you are selling or trading Apistogramma, you are in a good position. They are rare (for the most part), nice looking, highly sought-after (by some), and difficult to breed and raise to selling size(which you are overcoming). You may eventually have people waiting for you next batch to grow up. Pre-orders! You gotta love that.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….