• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos here I come!

OPEN WATER PREDATOR

5 Year Member
Hello all. I keep primarily large, predatory cichlids but at the ACA convention this year I couldn't resist a couple Apisto pairs: agassizii 'triple red' and cacatuoides 'orange flame'. I know. I know. *yawn* right? Doesn't everybody start with these? Anyway, the agassizii are doing fine. They were pretty small when I got them and have since grown a lot. The cacas, on the other hand, were adults when I got them. They didn't make it a week. Not sure what could've happened. I'd like to get some more eventually. But before I do that, I have a question: who's doing what with their water? Is RO necessary? I've just got almond leaves in there now. My tap is pretty hard, alkaline water.
Thanks.

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'Is RO necessary?'

it depends on how hard and alkaline your water is, the species you're keeping and whether you want your fish to be able to breed successfully.

my water is 160 ppm, ph 7.8, and i can get small to medium spawns grown out of a. cacatuoides and a. borellii among others, but even just keeping other species is a challenge.

basically, you'll have more success with softer more acidic water. but as to why your cacs died, no-one could say and it might have had little to do with your water.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….