• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma lost all its confidence?

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I've noticed over the last month or so that my male Cacatuoides has lost his confidence and hides 90 percent of the time - he has never been like this before and physically appears perfectly healthy. If I go anywhere near the tank he bolts to the nearest cave and hides which means come feeding time he misses out on most of the food - have started dropping daphnia near the caves with a baster to ensure he gets some. Water parameters are fine and stable. The only thing I can think of is that I removed the drift wood from the tank as about 6 weeks ago - maybe there is not enough cover / lights too bright ? Any thoughts ?
uploadfromtaptalk1402833448964.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think you found your answer. The tank is too open and too bright. Apistos tend to be more outgoing if they know there are multiple hiding places nearby.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
The thing is as i sit here on the sofa I can see him out and about as normal it is only when i approach the tank that he bolts - this is quite the opposite of how he used to behave as he would come out and see what was happening. I got rid of the drift wood as it was rotting. Still have 4 coconut caves - will look at getting some more branches or driftwood.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When he doesn't see danger (in this case you) he is out and about. Once you go near the tank he swims to the nearest hiding place. Before (my guess) the drift wood was close and knew there was a hiding place nearby if he needed it. You'll just have to add something where the driftwood once was that makes him secure.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I walk in the woods everyday and often see perfect pieces and branches everywhere but I am unsure if I can use them especially at it is British summer now (warm and wet)

Mol_PMB

Oak is fine :) I have a big chunk of oak in my tank representing a flooded tree-trunk. Well I suppose it really is a flooded tree-trunk! ;)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402859312.472582.jpg

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Very nice - did you treat it at all? Did you collect it in winter? It is hot and humid here in wales at the moment and had some really wet weather lately so not sure if its safe for me to collect now.

Mol_PMB

Mine came down in the storms late last year. Also from Wales, near Porthmadog. It's about 4" diameter and 2' long. I dried it out for about 6 months in a warm dry place although I'm not certain I got it fully dry to the heart.

I used a cup wire brush in a power drill to clean the surface while leaving the bark on.

So far, no problems. It went a bit 'hairy' while fishless cycling but the fish have eaten all that now and no ill effects. Looks great in the tank where I'm trying to create a flooded section of the Rio Negro.

Apistogrammas? Not in this tank but there are 5 wild biotodoma cupido :)

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I think I like the idea of some branches rather than a 'trunk' in there will see what I can find tomorrow - half the battle will be getting the branches home without my dog stealing them!

Mol_PMB

I think I like the idea of some branches rather than a 'trunk' in there will see what I can find tomorrow - half the battle will be getting the branches home without my dog stealing them!

This is my Dicrossus and Farlowella tank - lots of oak branches in here...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402863923.557577.jpg

Plus of course some living 'twigs' :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402863957.874209.jpg

Mol_PMB

I find the blackwater tanks much easier to maintain and I really like the look of them - though maybe they're an acquired taste.
My main plants are amazon frogbit and hydrocotyle leucocephela.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Hi David............as a little aside............May I ask from what part of Wales do you hail? and do you have any good LFS?
near Newport - I really like Tsunami Aquatics in chepstow - also have some garden centres with great quality tropicals in little villages like Raglan

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I find the blackwater tanks much easier to maintain and I really like the look of them - though maybe they're an acquired taste.
My main plants are amazon frogbit and hydrocotyle leucocephela.
I had a lovely blackwater apisto setup with heavy tannins, oak leaves and frogbit which I loved but it slowly morphed into a planted community setup - but not for long I think :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@ kowallzki30

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….