• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Baenschi behavior?

Jhays79

I bought a male and female Apistogramma Baenschi’s a couple months ago. They’re in a heavily planted black water tank with tons of leaf litter, driftwood, a coconut hut, and terrestrial plants growing out of the top. My ph is 6.5. When I first got them the male would chase the female around a lot, and her color was pretty washed out. A few weeks ago I noticed the females colors got very bright and vibrant, and the male got timid and stopped chasing her. She would chase him and as well as the guppies I have in the tank as well anytime they came near her territory. After a week or so the behavior went back to the male chasing her and her colors washed out again. A few days ago the change in behavior happened again. She’s all colored up and much more aggressive. Is this spawning behavior? My tank is really full of plants and wood and leaves so I can’t always see what she’s doing when she goes to the back of the tank and hides.

BE281628-9EFD-45E5-B852-311FF06BE138.jpeg

1682EE2F-4E52-43E2-B25C-8AB75EF4E4FB.jpeg

Attachments

• F1831FE3-08D8-4882-89D0-A2B273E8CEC1.jpeg
    F1831FE3-08D8-4882-89D0-A2B273E8CEC1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Beautiful fish.
I hope you succeed in breeding them, and it looks like you are on the right track.

-r

Jhays79

Thanks fir the responses. My biggest problem is I can’t see where she goes when she and if she is spawning. The tank has a lot of spots to hide so I only have a general idea of where she is most if the time. She’s feisty though!

MacZ

When I first got them the male would chase the female around a lot, and her color was pretty washed out. A few weeks ago I noticed the females colors got very bright and vibrant, and the male got timid and stopped chasing her. She would chase him and as well as the guppies I have in the tank as well anytime they came near her territory. After a week or so the behavior went back to the male chasing her and her colors washed out again. A few days ago the change in behavior happened again. She’s all colored up and much more aggressive.
Just as a heads up: This is a typical back and forth. So if you don't want to squeeze out the maximum of fry out of her, you might want to separate the two after 2-3 spawns so she doesn't burn out and die early.

Last edited:

Jhays79

Just as a heads up: This is a typical back and forth. So if you don't want to squeeze out the maximum of fry out of her, you might want to separate the two after 2-3 spawns so she doesn't burn out and die early.
Separate them permanently?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….