• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Wilhelmi or Abacaxis

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Both are common names and as such equally "correct". However, since many people omit the "sp." (which indicates that it's not a scientific name) the resulting A. Wilhelmi or worse A. wilhelmi looks like a proper latinized scientific name. Therefore, I prefer "Abacaxis" over "Wilhelmi".

martin_c

5 Year Member
I wonder why it still hasn't been scientifically described yet despite being a popular species for a long time now.

MacZ

I wonder why it still hasn't been scientifically described yet despite being a popular species for a long time now.
My best guess: Big backlist of species to describe among the actually quite few people that do this. Additionally a species description takes type specimens and and a collection location... a lot of factors.

martin_c

5 Year Member
I guess you're right, and i believe that it's a lot of work.
I just wonder about the priorities. For example Apistogramma flavipedunculata was already described even though it's new in the hobby (afaik) and only few people have ever seen it in real live.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Money is the primary reason for the lack of taxonomic descriptions. The hours required to completely describe a new species are expensive. Many of the recent apisto descriptions were funded by the government in Brazil for economic reasons like impacts of new potential hydrologic dams. Another reason is that taxonomy has taken a back-seat to environmental impact and phylogenetic research that doesn't really need scientific descriptions of individual species.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….