• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto what?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
No problems here Chris... They are beautiful fish, I am happy to have them and the mystery is part of the fun! Thank you.

Peter... At this point I really do think that the fish are a wild-type A. hongsloi; which is really exciting to me since we see the tank-strains so often a wild form really stands out... and causes confusion. Comparing this fish to the images in DATZ, what stands out to me is the lack of red in the caudal fin. The tank-strain hongsloi have it, but teh images of the wild-types (most of them anyway) do not. I know that is going to vary a bit, and that there is potential for hongsloi to have red in their tails. However, the images of the wild-type macmasteri, veijita and hoignei pretty much all have some red in their caudals.

We will probably never know which Columbian population it is, but comparing to DATZ and Romer #1 the closest in my opinion is Maripa, but without the red caudal spot (as the DATZ image has, but the Romer image does not).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"A. hongsloi", as pictured in publications, seem to include several different closely related species. The Rotstrich-Apistogramma seems to be a highly colorful form of the type A. hongsloi. If you read the original description, you will note that the life colors of the type material had no red on the body. Over the years other forms/species & populations of the hongsloi-complex fish have been pictured. Other than A. hongsloi, many of the other members of the hongsloi-complex are undescribed species.

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I am glad you arent dissapointed in the fish. I have taken almost every opportunity to "trade up to wild" when it arises. I figured when the list said Viejita worst come to worst I would end up with a nice wild columbian apisto. I was caught off guard on the packing fish day and was pressed for time. I had ALOT of stuff that got donated to auctions just to free up some tank space. My bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….