• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any apisto's available in the Philly metro area?

ErtyJr

Hey man!

I live in philly and breed/sell cacatuoides. Check out my Facebook page and youtube page. Www.facebook.com/thecichlidgarden
Or search the cichlid garden on youtube.

I currently don't have any in stock as over the winter I chose to redo lots of tanks but I will in about 3 months.

There are 4 stores I know of that have apistogramma on occasion. That fish place. They currently have some wild caught females of random species labeled red tail apisto.

The hidden reef has apistogramma occasionally as I sell mine to them on occasion.

Fish factory near hidden reef. I also sell to them on occasion.

And the last place only gets them from me. It's called aquarium world in Boothwyn pa. They won't have any unless I do most likely.

Last edited:

Kevin F Smith

Hey man!

I live in philly and breed/sell cacatuoides. Check out my Facebook page and youtube page. Www.facebook.com/thecichlidgarden
Or search the cichlid garden on youtube.

I currently don't have any in stock as over the winter I chose to redo lots of tanks but I will in about 3 months.

There are 4 stores I know of that have apistogramma on occasion. That fish place. They currently have some wild caught females of random species labeled red tail apisto.

The hidden reef has apistogramma occasionally as I sell mine to them on occasion.

Fish factory near hidden reef. I also sell to them on occasion.

And the last place only gets them from me. It's called aquarium world in Boothwyn pa. They won't have any unless I do most likely.

Thank you for contacting us. I'm interested in orange flash and wild form cacs. Especially wild. Will keep you in mind! Been to TFP many times. Was planning to go tomorrow. Fish Factory is a recent find for me and I like the place. Don is a knowledgeable staff member. As regards Hidden Reef, now that Harvey is gone, they are back to mislabeling most of the apistos they get, when they get them. Harvey got a bonanza of apistos back in July, about 12 species/varieties, about a hundred fish total. In 35 years I never saw so many apistos in a pet shop at one time. I picked up a bunch of nice specimens. There were postings on FB and this site. They sold in a hurry. Then, the feedback to Harvey was that they didn't want to order them again. Every time I go to hidden reef, the wall of tanks in the main aisle entering the fishroom are empty. I've never seen a pet shop with so many empty tanks. Oh well, I guess salt is their thing. Happy New Year!

ErtyJr

Thank you for contacting us. I'm interested in orange flash and wild form cacs. Especially wild. Will keep you in mind! Been to TFP many times. Was planning to go tomorrow. Fish Factory is a recent find for me and I like the place. Don is a knowledgeable staff member. As regards Hidden Reef, now that Harvey is gone, they are back to mislabeling most of the apistos they get, when they get them. Harvey got a bonanza of apistos back in July, about 12 species/varieties, about a hundred fish total. In 35 years I never saw so many apistos in a pet shop at one time. I picked up a bunch of nice specimens. There were postings on FB and this site. They sold in a hurry. Then, the feedback to Harvey was that they didn't want to order them again. Every time I go to hidden reef, the wall of tanks in the main aisle entering the fishroom are empty. I've never seen a pet shop with so many empty tanks. Oh well, I guess salt is their thing. Happy New Year!

Yea I really liked Harvey. Me and him were discussing going in together to start our own store but things fell through.

I've since started going to fish factory, as the hidden reef kind of blows now.

Back when Harvey got the big shipment of apistos I actually gave him a trio of my own apistos free of charge. He got an orange flash trio from me for his 65g cube. He will be missed :(

Keep me in mind and happy new year!

Kevin F Smith

Yea I really liked Harvey. Me and him were discussing going in together to start our own store but things fell through.

I've since started going to fish factory, as the hidden reef kind of blows now.

Back when Harvey got the big shipment of apistos I actually gave him a trio of my own apistos free of charge. He got an orange flash trio from me for his 65g cube. He will be missed :(

Keep me in mind and happy new year!

If you are in touch with Harvey please ask him to contact me at 267-968-8114 (business phone). I know he wanted to open a store with special attention to unusual fresh water species. He's a good guy and if he gets a store I'd be a customer. Thanks and Happy New Year!

ErtyJr

If you are in touch with Harvey please ask him to contact me at 267-968-8114 (business phone). I know he wanted to open a store with special attention to unusual fresh water species. He's a good guy and if he gets a store I'd be a customer. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Sadly I haven't been able to get a hold of him recently. I plan on trying to find him sooner or later though. If I do I will certainly pass your number on. Harvey is an excellent guy, and yea we werent in intense negotiations or anything but I was planning on dedicating a lot of time to helping him with his specialty store and help with online presence, in exchange I was going to try and get him to give me some room for my breeding in his shop since I am very limited on space.

Problem was investors fell through and it looks unlikely now. But it is certainly still a possibility, and if I can reach him I will certainly pass your message on!

Diesel Fitter

Gents, I was in the area today, and I stopped by the Hidden Reef and the FishFactory, not much to report but there was A.Cacatoides at the reef, not I pressed, and a pair of A. Baesnchi (sp.) at The Fish Factory. Sadly nothing to peek my interest, however, you guys may see potential that I am unable to see. Happy New Year to you both! Kevin, Dan at TFF was excited to hear from you about my Cac. spawn, thanks for spreading the news!

bobthebadger53

Hey guys, I came upon this thread while trying to find A. cacatuoides near Philly. TFP is a little far for me, but Hidden Reef and FIsh Factory are pretty close. I normally go to the Aquarium Center in Clementon but they don't have apistos or bolivian rams, which I would also like to purchase.
Has anyone stopped by HR or FF recently and checked in on their stock? Which of the two would you recommend?

Diesel Fitter

Hi Bob, welcome to our group of "Starving Apistogramma Enthusist's"! I'm kidding of course, but in our area it can get really difficult to get fish unless they are of a more pedestrian nature. So far, this link has provided others in our area, a means to communicate fish that have become available and their location, and possible buys by local fish stores that would be of interest to us. Let's face it we really can't ask our LFS to purchase these fish if there is real market for them. Hopefully we help the LFS sell more fish that we ourselves are interested in, and it becomes a kind of partnership where the hobbyist and the LOS both benefit. Read my post from Saturday, I did find some Apistogramma locally. Dave

bobthebadger53

So Hidden Reef doesn't have the highest quality fish? That's a shame. I might check out the Roxborough place sometime to see if they have any apistos.

Diesel Fitter

Hi Bob, welcome to our group of "Starving Apistogramma Enthusist's"! I'm kidding of course, but in our area it can get really difficult to get fish unless they are of a more pedestrian nature. So far, this link has provided others in our area, a means to communicate fish that have become available and their location, and possible buys by local fish stores that would be of interest to us. Let's face it we really can't ask our LFS to purchase these fish if there is no real market for them. Hopefully we help the LFS sell more fish that we ourselves are interested in, and it becomes a kind of partnership where the hobbyist and the LOS both benefit. Read my post from Saturday, I did find some Apistogramma locally. Dave

bobthebadger53

Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update. I stopped by World Wide Aquarium and got a bolivian ram. Looks good so far. Waiting on getting an apisto for now. Hopefully Clementon or Fish Factory will get a shipment soon.

ErtyJr

Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update. I stopped by World Wide Aquarium and got a bolivian ram. Looks good so far. Waiting on getting an apisto for now. Hopefully Clementon or Fish Factory will get a shipment soon.

Hey bob, I will be having my 2 pairs of cacatuoides spawn soon. In about 3 months I will have some sexable juvies up for sale. Keep tabs with me at facebook.com/thecichlidgarden I post when I have some for sale!

Diesel Fitter

Thanks for the update Kevin, now it looks like a trip to THR is in my future tomorrow, will they sell a male with 2 hens? Thanks again!

ErtyJr

Thanks for the update Kevin, now it looks like a trip to THR is in my future tomorrow, will they sell a male with 2 hens? Thanks again!

I'm sure they would, I doubt they know the males from the females there.

Hey kevin did they still have that nice male agassizzi at fish factory?

Currently I'm on the hunt for a pair of A. Abacaxis. If anyone sees some for sale please let me know!

bobthebadger53

I'll stop by Hidden Reef and Fish Factory sometime soon. Never been to either and have heard mixed reports on Hidden Reef. I'm very interested in Fish Factory's shipment of cacs. Do you think I could quarantine a bolivian ram and an apisto in a 10 gallon at the same time before adding them both to a 55 gallon? If not, I guess I'll check out FF and then return in a few weeks to buy an apisto.

Kevin F Smith

Hi everyone,

Dave, they are priced per fish, so will be no problem buying one you want.

Ertyjr: I didn't see the aggie at FF. Their baenschi pair is real nice, but a bit high at $45. Don seems to be good with negotiating though.

Bob: HR has good quality fish, just be careful of the ID. I've seen macmasteri labelled as pertense, aggie labelled as cac, etc.

Last edited:

Diesel Fitter

Kevin, thanks again for the alert on those aggies at The Hidden Reef, I was able to get a trio. They are a little shy at the moment but they are in with some pretty rowdy cardinal and rummy nose tetras. Hey did you happen to see that discus pair that laid eggs at the HR? DAVE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….