• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggassizi dithers?

Dis82

5 Year Member
I have a 40 gallon breeder setup with plants, caves, and driftwood. Right now the only fish in it are a pair of aggassizi, do they need dither fish to feel comfortable enough to spawn? Right now they hide alot. My water is also hard but I'm setting up my RO water for it.

Thanks for any advice.

regani

5 Year Member
How shy they are can depend on a number of different factors: how much cover there is in the tank, how much light, etc.
it could work out without other fish in there. I have done tanks with and without other fish, but I have found that some other fish in the tank help the pair to bond and are definitely helpful once the female has laid eggs as she might become quite aggressive towards the male. a few other fish help distract her and give the male a bit more rest.
best pick for other fish are probably pencil fish (which I use) or some small tetras that don't eat the fry.

Dis82

5 Year Member
Ok thanks for the advice. This is my first pair of apistos so I'm not very familiar with their behaviour. Would rummy nose tetras work ok? I always like how they shoal.

Dis82

5 Year Member
Here is a pic of my current setup. The caves are all tucked away behind the driftwood. I'm planning on adding some small terracotta pots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 442

regani

5 Year Member
I haven't used rummynose tetras, so I am not sure if they will snack on the fry or not, other people who have experience with them may be able to help you out there.
with regards to the tank, you will probably need quite a bit more cover to help disperse aggression, especially if you are relatively new to apistos, they can be surprisingly aggressive at times.
here are some examples of the level of cover I use:
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/10-gallon-apisto-setups.13178/#post-71362
keep in mind that the pictures are taken from the short side of the tanks.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….