• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp algodon / A. sp pebas?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Posts #1 and #8 both show females with the double caudal patch. This indicates that the fish belong to the Pebas-subcomplex of the eunotus-complex. Presently 3 apisto species belong to the Pebas-subcomplex:

A. sp. Pebas - female in brood dress shows 3-4 lateral spots and a more triangular caudal patch (wide caudal spot + narrow Bar 7 spot join to form double caudal patch).

A. sp. Papagei/Nanay - female in brood dress shows 2 (rarely 3, on one side only) lateral spots and a more 'figure 8' caudal patch (wide caudal spot + equally wide Bar 7 spot join to form double caudal patch).

A. sp. Roca Eterna - female in brood dress shows 4-5 lateral spots and a more 'figure 8' caudal patch (wide caudal spot + equally wide Bar 7 spot join to form double caudal patch). They are slighly deeper bodied than A. sp. Pebas and Papagei.

Every once in a while an anomalous specimen appears without a joined caudal patch, but when examining a larger number of specimens from the same population, the typical caudal patch is the norm. I've seen this in photos before. TomC even sent me a photo of a male A. sp. Winkelfleck that he collected that shows a very atypical (for this species) double caudal patch.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Thank you for the information Mike. For my own knowledge, is it often happens that the male looks totally different in neutral mood? For example I never seen the (interrupted) horizontal bar at one of the fish while the other one is always present.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is not unusual. Cichlids can change colors quite easily, depending on mood. Dominant males usually do not show the diagnostic black markings. They are hidden behind all of the bright colors. If you want to see the dark markings on such fish, just net it out, put it in a plastic bag, shake well (well ... not THAT well:tongue:), and put the bag up to a bright light. You will see the dark markings!

Erik82

5 Year Member
Haha ok, then i will shake the the other fish to see his black markings of the other fish :tongue: The male with the black markings never changes his pattern, witch surprises me.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Shake the dominant fish. He will change. Subdominant males typically show subdued markings (a form of communication). Remove the dominant male and the subdominant male will take on the dominant color in a few day.

Erik82

5 Year Member
The matter is that the pairs are separated from each other. They are not in the same tank. But.. I will shake the dominant one. Pictures will come later.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I finally took some pictures of the 'dominant' male shacked in a back. The black patterns are hard to see due the bluish reflection of the fish.

dominant male stressed:
male1foto2stres3-4-11.jpg

male1foto1stres3-4-11.jpg

Aggressive
male1foto1agressive5-4-11.jpg

Second male aggressive
male2foto1agressive5-4-11.jpg

Erik82

5 Year Member
I agreed with you Mike. The other male looks like, like you said, also a Roca eterna. When he becomes aggressive the differences between both are hardly to see. Still I need to make a picture of the second male ´shacked´ in a bag.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….