• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little ID help

root3

I'm fairly new to keeping apistos, and brand new to this forum. The other day, I picked up what looks like a pair of A. borellii from a local store. (At least that's what I got from surfing the web--the store had no idea since they had been dropped off by someone who didn't want them any more.)

I've attached a few photos. I was wondering if some veterans wouldn't mind helping a neophyte out with an ID.

Greetings, and thanks

photo.JPG
photo (1).JPG
photo (2).JPG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
You'll have to wait for some-one to give you a more definitive ID, but they look more like A. "Pebas".

cheers Darrel

root3

Darrel & Mike--Comparing pictures of A. "Pebas" and my fish, I'd say you're right. Thanks!

That's unfortunate that they're not a pair. I just guessed (theme developing here) from the body size difference and the fact that they don't seem to mind each other's company. Out of curiosity, what are you looking at in the smaller one that makes you think it's a male?

themountain--in the store's defense, they made no claim that they were even apistos--just that someone dropped them off last week and that they seemed healthy. That being said, looking at the aquarium trade generally, I agree with you that stores here could improve on mis-identification and confusing trade names.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Being a eunotus-complex species, females should show deep black anterior ventral fin rays. The body should show no blue, but dirty white to yellow and the dark marking would be more pronounced (not hidden behind the metallic blue color of a male). Females will have blunt tips on the dorsal & anal fins and the caudal will be patternless.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieApisto

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(