• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. bitaeniata or cf. bitaeniata or ...?

mixmixi

Hi,

I've got this fish along with a few more a few months ago. They were imported from Peru I believe. When I've got these they were all very young and I didn't bother looking at them. But now I found this fella who is not a young fish anymore and is as large as a female bitaeniata slightly different than others. To me it looks like a transitional form between bitaeniata and mendezi... But on the other and, many features just doesn't match with mendezi (as well as mendezi being a Brazilian species). I would be happy to know your opinions regarding this particular fish I've got.
IMGP3989.JPG
IMGP3990.JPG
IMGP3992.JPG
IMGP3993.JPG
IMGP3994.JPG
IMGP3995.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Looks like a female A. bitaeniata to me. The fish we call "A. bitaeniata" might actually be several different species, similar to A. agassizii - or it might be an entirely different species from the holotype of 'A. pertense var. bitaeniata Pelegrin 1936'. So many question, so few answers!:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….