• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

8 tubes over a 75

aspen

5 Year Member
farm, i've been thinking about your idea about squeezing 8 tubes in 18" of space. i am doing a hood in the next little while for my 90, and would rather try and get more light reflected from the back of the lamp down into the tank. i can get some flat reflector sheeting (like they use for retrofit fixtures) from a lighting manufacturer, and have also thought of trying to get small reflectors from somewhere. another option may be to cut the reflector material cut into strips and bend some myself. (i do work at all kinds of metal shops and have a high school close to me as well. all you need is access to a brake press and a little patience.)

imo, trying to get the light that is trapped behind the bulbs, back out and down into the tank, would be more effective, and use less lamps. what do you think? the more lamps that you squeeze together, the more of the back 1/2 of the light will be trapped in the top of the hood.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I already have 6 on my 60g tank with a 12" width and it works real well, 8 tubes will have even more space with an 18" width. I do like your idea and wish someone made a proper reflector for this purpose. Less watts and the same amount of light means less heat too, an added benefit.

I hope you take this project on and keep us informed. Do you have a light meter?

aspen

5 Year Member
i plan on painting the background white, trying 6 then also 8 lamps, then putting the reflectors on 6 lamps. i'll post lightmeter readings. it ain't going to be soon, maybe 2 months away. i'm in my summer rush. but i would bet that you would get more light with 6 lamps and reflectors than 8 lamps with a flat reflective backing. think about it... all of the light bouncing right back at the lamp, or landing on the lamp beside when the lamps are close and the back is flat.

btw, i got a flourescent dimming ballast (lutron tu-wire ballast for 2- 32 watt t-8 lamps) today. it will dim lamps down to 5% light output. i pick up the control next week, just a simple commercial slider dimmer. ee-hew! it was a bonus for a job i did that i finished today. i'm REALLY looking forward to evening viewing. the 'wheels' are turning. i'm also doing fully automatic water changes, and a hood that splits in 2, the front folding over the back on a piano hinge, then sliding back to 3"- 4" from the back of the tank. the ballasts will be in the front of the back section, near the middle. this will weigh the back down to support the top, plus a hook thingy i've concocted that hooks automatically as you slide it back.

ease of maintenance will be the theme. all i want to do is play with the plants and the fish. with the lamp combination i'm using, light will be fully selectable from 0- 6 lamps on full, with switches, a timer and single switch to act as a manual over-ride on the back of the hood.

if i can only afford the time and space for 1 planted discus show tank, i want to make it nice.

rick

Neil

aspen and farm41,
My suggestion is to look to reef hobbyists. There are way ahead of the game on lighting. In my searching for lighting for my reef tank, I have found numerous sites dedicated to lighting with some interesting stuff for all types of lighting. Here is just one:
http://ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm
Read the part on the right reflector. These reflectors are for PC, but I have seen a number of other units that optimize light from the entire bulb to the chosen surface. I will post some other sources if I come across them again.
Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
Ahsupply will be my first choice, depending on how much extra cash I have when I get to building my hood. They have a very good reputation.

aspen

5 Year Member
hey farm, don't make any decisions, until i get ahold of mine. i just talked to a custom light fixture reflector place in ontario, and they are talking about making them for me custom. prices are real good, and i will likely go with them. they want me to ok the exact profile, size and length i want by fax. they are using anodised aluminum, which is the common product for 87% reflectivity, and they are talking about less than 15 bucks can, for me. (10 bucks u.s.) i could get them to run off 6 for you too. the size and profile should be exactly the same for you, as for me. i'm going to be getting mine in the next month or so. how is that time frame?

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I'm definately not in a hurry, and I like the sound of that. Is it going to be 2 tubes per reflector or 1?

farm41

5 Year Member
Rick,

Have you done anything with the reflectors yet?

Looks like I'm going to get another 75g tank, I just can't understand my wife, she said today, to go ahead and replace the 38g with a 75. I don't know what's up with that, but I am not going wait around and let her change her mind.

I haven't even built the new hood for my other 75 yet, now I have to build 2 of them.

aspen

5 Year Member
i think i am leaning towards 2 lamps per reflector. what do you think? do you want me to order mine, then i can take a pic of them and you can decide? a client of mine gets these things done regularly, i'd like to slip mine in with his order. i'll call him tomorrow, and see when that will be.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
Pictures and dimensions would be great, hope I'm not asking too much. If they fit, I might still use 8 tubes.

thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….