• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2002 edition of Linke/Staek westie book

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have tentatively made a deal for six of the books. They are in German. and I am told that there are no plans to publish it in English (which I find somewhat surprising, considering the popularity of the 1995 edition). I can get the books to me altogether for $30 a book, but they will be sent 'sea-mail', which can take anywhere from 2 - 7 weeks. For $35 per book I can have them sent air-mail. Shipping from me depends upon where you are, but book rate is not that bad.

I have not placed the order, but if five of you want the book I will. We just need to agree on whether $5 extra is worth getting them faster.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Count me in. I got a peek of Randall's copy in Cincinnati, pictures alone are worth the price. I can probably pick out the important stuff...temp, pH, conductivity. Didn't retain much German from when I was stationed in Northern Italy and visiting Munchen every Oktober :D

Randall

5 Year Member
2002 edition of Linke & Staeck westie book

tjudy said:
I have tentatively made a deal for six of the books. They are in German. and I am told that there are no plans to publish it in English (which I find somewhat surprising, considering the popularity of the 1995 edition).

Hello All,

To many of us in the dwarf cichlid hobby, two of Linke & Staeck's four English editions are must haves. These are the two books concerning American dwarf cichlids and West African dwarf cichlids respectively. The other two English books concern large American cichlids and East African cichlids. As far as I understand, all four books are out of print, and neither Tetra-Press nor Tetra Verlag plan on publishing any new German language books in English edition, the 2002 West African cichlid book included.

This sorry phenomenon seems prevalent among German and, for that matter, European and Asian book publishers. Apparently, publishing in English is and has been a break even proposition at best, and foreign language publishers are pulling out of our market in droves.

It seems that our European and Asian counterparts read a lot more than we do. Consequently, it is not worth a foreign language publisher's while to undergo the time and expense to translate, market and distribute their books in English if the end product is not going to be read.

After some considerable effort, Birgit Schmettkamp Verlag has agreed to publish Dr. Lamboj's new book, The Cichlids of West Africa, in an English language edition. As I've posted here in the Forum before, this book will be comprehensive in that it will discuss all of the cichlid species from the region, as opposed to Linke & Staeck's book which only discusses a sampling of them. Additionally, Dr. Lamboj's book will include all of the new developments of the past several years and will be state of the science. We expect that a couple of American hobbyists will proof the English manuscript prior to press, in an effort to preclude awkwardness of language--one of the complaints commonly voiced about Linke & Staeck's books.

When it is made available next year (2004), I strongly encourage everyone to buy this book. In doing so, we can collectively send a strong message to German publishers that publishing for us is not a waste of time and money. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we, too, could benefit from the same insight, knowledge and understanding that is lavished upon our European counterparts? As it now stands, comparatively speaking, clearly we are left out in the cold.

Thanks all.

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK... currently three of the six books are spoken for. I will difinitely buy one of Dr. Lamboj's books, Randall, but pretty much want one of the Linke/Staek books to have it in my library. Do you think Dr. Lamboj's book will be in print in time for the ACA in Denver? That would be a great opportunity to get it signed.

Anyone else want the Linke/Staek book?

Randall

5 Year Member
Mag. Dr. Lamboj's Book

Hi Ted,

Yes, Dr. Lamboj's book is due out of press in time for next year's ACA convention in Denver. The plan is to make the book available at that time and to offer autographed copies.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….