• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma pioroa or megaptera

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I bought a few Apistogramma sp. Is there some one who can tell me if I bought the pioroa or megaptera?

Male 1
1cb599a089.JPEG

Male 2
e694baa1db.JPEG

female 1
c406d3de08.JPEG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Give the males a few months. If the dorsal spines are highly serrated, then they're A. piaroa; if moderately serrated (like A. macmasteri), then A. megaptera.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well flank spots on brooding females of many apisto species vary a lot - even from one side of a fish to the other. The original description of A. megaptera by Messa and Lasso (2011) has photos of live specimen taken by Ivan Mikolii. The female is in brood dress and doesn't look much different than the fish in your photo. The only obvious difference is that Mikolii's fish doesn't show any pattern in the caudal fin, but this could be variable, too.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Great Frank_H!!.. Many thanks for quick reply!!

One female is in a "coco-shell" with eggs/wrigglers since 3 days.. Hoping for the best.. (For safety reason, I took out the 3 "siamensis" + 1 Parotocinclus spec. "Pernambuco" today!! Epiplatys lamottei is still in the tank though!!)
Last female with eggs failed to get fry.. 2 weeks ago!! But that may also have been an issue of "bad/incorrect" waterquality!!

Hope you don`t mind Erik82, I thought it would be a good idea to show pics of the A.piaroa in this thread..and get verification on these species..
For all future Apisto-freaks!!:) Nice pics BTW!!

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I was curious if some has an picture of a adult female A. megaptera. Does the female also has extended dorsal spines? When I look at the Datz catalog, i would say it could be A. brevis? Only i don't have ane pictures of that female too.

Here below some pictures of the female and one of the male.

apistogramma%20megaptera%20man%202%20wild%2019072015_zpseugvjnjt.jpg

apistogramma%20megaptera%20female%2005082015_zpsjyuyjgbu.jpg

apistogramma%20megaptera%20female%20foto2%2005082015_zpsc9xi5pmc.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….