• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

zebra pleco

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice fish! Are they a new acquisition for you or have you had them a while? If they are newer would you mind sharing how much you paid for them? I know what I'm selling my F1 young for in the states and would be curious to find out an "international" price.

Thanks,
Jeff

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
Love those zebras :) They are pretty expensive here (and everywhere) so I don't think I will ever have any :( but IMO they are the nicest looking of all plecos.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks all, they are my recent acquisitions :)
They are NOT F1, etc... they are 100% wild caught, 7-9cm long,
all from a reputable trader!! For the price, it is really high,
a pair of zebra pleco is equal to 3 pairs of super red german
eliza. ^_^

Fatts

5 Year Member
Wow that is a hefty price!!!

Around here they are normally around $100-$200, unless you are talking breeders, I have seen proven breeders go for as much as $1000

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've had the last several batches of F1 fry (1 1/2"=/-) go out the door at $250 each through Aquabid (January-May). That is up from around $150 each in November 2005 for the same size fish.

Jeff

blueblue

5 Year Member
Apistogramm-Sam said:
I thought Zebra plecos couldn't be taken from the wild anymore because they were put on the CITES list?
yes, while these specimens were all imported from japan and taiwan BEFORE the ban and finally got to my hands recently (as released by some hobbyists and sold to me via a trader). so, it's legal!! hehee :)

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
yes, while these specimens were all imported from japan and taiwan BEFORE the ban and finally got to my hands recently (as released by some hobbyists and sold to me via a trader). so, it's legal!! hehee :)

How can you tell if it's really a wild?

blueblue

5 Year Member
Refael Hdr. said:
How can you tell if it's really a wild?
1. Trust of the trader and source.
2. The wildcaught's fins have more blue reflection...
together with some body colour...

Anyhow, for L46, wildcaught or tank-bred both are precious
and we should take good care of them.

Cheers ^.^

kingborris

5 Year Member
aquaticclarity said:
kingborris,
How recent is that pricing?
Jeff

pretty recent. last one i saw for sale in a shop (probably 6 months ago) was on sale for £195. I recently saw a private add for a breeding 3M2F for £800.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
King Boris
"pretty recent. last one i saw for sale in a shop (probably 6 months ago) was on sale for £195. I recently saw a private add for a breeding 3M2F for £800."

Great prices!

Apistogramm-Sam
"I thought Zebra plecos couldn't be taken from the wild anymore because they were put on the CITES list?"

Actually zebras are not on the Cites list. The Brazilian government has an export bane on the animals. The government is hoping to find a way to make some money on the export of fish and control the flow of animals through their borders. Researchers (and anyone willing to spend a lot of money) can still get wild caught zebras. I checked with a local wholesaler/imported about 2 weeks ago. I was told to expect a price of $300-400 per fish, plus shipping costs, plus paperwork fees, etc. it would end up well over $500 a head to get the fish in, with out a live arrival guarantee!

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Brazilian government has an export ban on the animals. The government is hoping to find a way to make some money on the export of fish and control the flow of animals through their borders.

No, the Brazilian government (from what I've been told by my Brazilian friends) plans to flood the entire upper course of the Rio Xingu system with a series of hydroelectric dams. They want no fish collecting or demand for fish from this area that might draw attention to the massive loss of the Xingu ecosystem. The map I have of proposed dams makes many of the tributaries of the lower Amazon look like lakes!

kingborris

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
No, the Brazilian government (from what I've been told by my Brazilian friends) plans to flood the entire upper course of the Rio Xingu system with a series of hydroelectric dams. They want no fish collecting or demand for fish from this area that might draw attention to the massive loss of the Xingu ecosystem. The map I have of proposed dams makes many of the tributaries of the lower Amazon look like lakes!

:( not good

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
Man...they should send a dozen (free) to me and I will breed them :) It will be a shame if they destroy the habitat and kill them off. I am sure many who are in the hobby would try their best to get breeding programs set up. Even if they require 10% of the fry you got to live, back for restocking in the wild I would go for it.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:

So, does it mean that the zebra originally may not be really an endangered species, but the dam project will actually kill them out?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….