• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

your opinion : viejita or macmasteri

T

Tony_R

Hello,

i'll first have to say that "Rolo" has already seen these pictures, if that helps,
but i'd still like to have a second opinion :

viejita or macmasteri ????

Viejita%20I.jpg

V%20III.jpg

V%20II.jpg

V%20VI.jpg

i have to say, the fish are all from the same nest, the photo's are from two different tanks.

i thank you now for your opinions, in advance

Tony Riches

(Lehre, Germany)

W

wwildcats04

Im going to go with Macmasteri but its so hard because they are so similar.

Roach

5 Year Member
To the unexperienced eye (mine) I'd say that it's a viejita. I saw a few that were almost identical to this labelled as viejita

Apistt_ed

many times they are labeled as viejita, but as Mike has said before, the true viejita (holotype) isn't too plentiful in the hobby. I've never seen it. The interbreeding of multiple species has come up with the fish we know in the hobby as viejita II, but from the type material, the red shoulders is a dead give-a-way of macmasteri and not viejita.

Riley

5 Year Member
Hey,

I would agree with the macmasteri opinion. Thats how mine looked right when i got them. Give them a chance to settle in, get em fattened up and they will definately look like macmasteri. I got mine at like 1.5 inches now the male is almost 3 inches, and still growing. Good luck with them, great fish!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. macmasteri is deeper bodied, has a slightly higher & narrower caudal spot, no red on the edge of the hard dorsal spines, often develops a squared off or slightly double tipped caudal fin, & may or may not have red marks on the gill covers. A. viejita is less deep bodied, has a slightly lower & broader caudal spot, red on the tips of the hard spines, develops only a round caudal fin, & has no red on the gill covers. I am discussing specimens like those from the wild here. The DATZ special publication is a good place to compare the two species (p. 60). The more colorful domestic forms of both species are more than likely the result of crossing several different closely related species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Michael Miller's DNA studies show that A. macmasteri, A. viejita, A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Rotflecken(Black-throat/Red-flecked/"Viejita CF III/"Viejita CF II) are separate species. They are, however, closely related & have been mixed to produce the domestic forms of "macmasteri" & "viejita" presently in the hobby.

W

wwildcats04

I have a pair of macmasteri and the male is always hiding, is this typical behavior for this species because my male cac never hides so Im a little confused

lab

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Michael Miller's DNA studies show that A. macmasteri, A. viejita, A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Rotflecken(Black-throat/Red-flecked/"Viejita CF III/"Viejita CF II) are separate species. They are, however, closely related & have been mixed to produce the domestic forms of "macmasteri" & "viejita" presently in the hobby.

Do the DNA studies only show the separation of the species or does it also apply to the mixing of these to produce the domestic forms?

I didn't quite understand if the comment on the domestic forms is based "only" on morphological characters.

I'm very interested in this since I'm considering writing an article for the Danish magazine "Cichliden" (=The Cichlid) on this particular subject.

Best regards,
Lars

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Miller's preliminary DNA studies are based on only wild-caught fish with known collecting localities. Therefore there are no domestic or mixed forms in his studies.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Raphael,

Your fish appears to have more features of A. macmasteri than A. viejita.
I would call it a domestic A. macmasteri. It definitely is not the wild A. viejita! I imagine that it really is a domestic form that was created by mixing several macmasteri-complex species together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….