• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will different apisto species be aggressive towards each other?

Harry Muscle

5 Year Member
Do apisto's from different species behave the same towards those of other species as their own? For example, I currently have a male cacatuoides (looking for a female for him) and I'm gonna be adding a pair of agassizi to the tank (55G tank). Should I expect to see territory defending behaviour, etc. between the two species or will they just ignore each other since they are different species? Cause for example right now the German Ram and male cacatuoides completely ignore each other, they are both cichlids, but obvioulsy very different speices.

Thanks,
Harry

KnaveTO

5 Year Member
I know I have checkerboard cichlids along with some apistos (rio manare?) and the get along fine with each other. As for different species of apistos... no clue as I have never mixed them. On a side note welcome Harry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos are cichlids. Cichlids are territorial against any other fish that enters their territory. The more similar looking the fish, the more aggressive the reaction. A lot of the aggressiveness also depends on the size of the aquarium and how it is decorated. In a well decorated 55 you should not see too much agression. As you add more cichlids, the territories will become smaller and the agression will increase - especially if they want to breed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….