• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Apisto Hongsloi.

Microman

5 Year Member
I have recently picked up 5 wild Apisto Hongsloi that came into the UK as contaminants within a shipment of wild Rams from Columbia.
I gather that there might be as many as 6 different regional colour variations of Hongsloi and I would like,if possible,help to identify which variant they are.I cannot post a pic as I have no digi cam so it might be difficult but here goes.
Characteristics include:Male is deep bodied with grey/green colouration,
red and sky blue markings to throat and sides of face,clear red/yellow tail
with red caudle spot,colour of markings from caudle penduncle to, and above, anal fin are the same dark indigo colour as the lips and mouth area.
The fish shows no yellow head and body colouration as yet.
I realise this info is limited but any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Mark.

aspen

5 Year Member
mark, i cannot help you out with the different morphs, but ime, that fish belongs in a tank that is a little larger than your average apisto tank. romer describes that fish as 'waspish' meaning it can be quite mean. i lost the second female to agression from the pair when housed in a 15. in future i will put more structure in the tank and give them a little more room.

rick

Microman

5 Year Member
Rick,
At the moment these fish are housed in a 24".15".15",I have noticed
one particular male being extremely dominant.There are plenty of oak leaves,bogwood etc in the tank so I dont see too many problems as yet.
I will continue to monitor the situation.
Mark.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Without an adequate photo or so other location data, I cannot say what it is for sure. I have an idea of what it looks like, and it roughly corresponds to one of the forms in Koslowski's 2002 book (p.173, right side, 3rd from the top), but I will not attempt to identify it without seeing some sort of photo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….