• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild A. barlowi freeswimming

rr16

5 Year Member
It's taken a year or so and various mouthbroodings, but this is the first time I've seen her with freeswimming fry! Not great videos, but a proud moment!

Junkenz

Hello, I also had a pair of barlowi which breed recently, wanna ask usually you will keep the fry with mummy for how long?

rr16

5 Year Member
I only ever got freeswimmers once that I'm aware of. My male died not long after this so not had anymore spawnings.

Junkenz

My fry already free swimming and eating bbs but I notice once awhile they still go into the mummy mouth. Please correct me if I am wrong. Still new with this species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mouthbrooding is rather primitive in apistos. Behavior can vary greatly. Some A. barlowi don't ever mouthbrood. What you see is atypical. It could be that the female still wants to clean them, like apistos do with eggs/larvae. Also domestic conditions can lead to atypical behavior from what normally occurs in the wild.

Junkenz

Now I wonder the mummy will continue to do this for how long. The fry is about 2 weeks old now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….