• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

White spot!!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am still 'old school' when it comes to Ich. I use Malachite Green (1 drop/gal + 37% Formalin (2 drops/gal), raise the temperature to 85ºF, & increase air (except on characins, catfish, & other fish with small scales; then it is ½ dose). I medicate every other day for 3 treatments & do a 25-30% water change on the day I don't treat. One problem with the chemicals, however, is that both are known to cause cancer in humans, so handle with care!

Cathy G

5 Year Member
I cured it on blue rams by bumping up heat to 88-89 and adding extra aeration - lots of bubbles from a bubble wand. (Warm water doesn't hold as much oxygen). Then I added 1/2 tablespoon salt per 10g's water. 12 hours later I added another 1/2 tablespoon per 10g's water. (Dissolve salt in water first). Hold the temps and the heat for at least a week past seeing the last white spot. I also did 2 50% water changes per week adding back in the appropriate amount of salt during each change.

I hear there is a resistant strain going around now and can only be cured by the use of a copper based med...

Cathy

hino

5 Year Member
Salt can be use in apisto tank? Will salt increase the GH and KH???

hino

5 Year Member
So, u mean does not affect my fish very much??? One more thing to ask. In my tank with the infected fish, i put some soil in the tank, with only air stone. Why i put the methylene blue( The white spot medicine), just a few minute, the water become clear again??? Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Increased conductivity probably affects the fish more than increased hardess, especially the blackwater species that come from extremely soft water. Are actually using soil instead of sand/gravel? If so, the soil contains large quantities of clay & organic matter that absorbs the methylene blue before it has the time to work on the parasites.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cole

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….